15 | a dream of our fate

A letter arrived at Sterling Castle this morning. An invitation, to be exact. A wedding invitation. Jane Ainsworth would marry the King in exactly two months from now, and Edmund, as his kinsmen, has to be present during the procession. Edmund had become anxious lately and he spoke even less, and I knew that he feared Jane would give the King a new heir.

"Even if he has an heir, the people won't support him, Edmund," I interjected while handing him a letter I received from my father. Edmund snatched it and read it hastily, his eyes becoming even wider the more he read.

"The King is taxing the people heavily to support his extravagant lifestyle. And have you heard that he plans on going to war with Lecarre? He has allied himself with Terrawyn," I added. "My townsmen complained to my father about the heavy taxation, and now my father is trying to negotiate with the King for the sake of his people."

Edmund looked up from the paper in disbelief, his face as pale as a sheet. "The people will starve, Anne," he seethed with rage. "This is not the kingdom that my grandfather had envisioned. It has turned into a mere tool for the King to fulfill his stupid worldly desires!"

"Aren't all kings chosen by God, Edmund? Were they not given the mandate of heaven?" I said sarcastically. "God has guided King Edward to damn us all!"

"There is nothing we can do for now, Anne," Edmund said as he sat down next to me. "I shall have to go to war as well, perhaps even your father will be forced to go too."

"Lecarre is a rich nation, no?" I sighed. "Rich, but poor. Their king is the richest man in the world, but his people live in the streets. Now, King Edward wants to team up with Terrawyn in order to capture Lecarre and exploit their wealth. However, with Terrawyn's state, with all the anarchy and civil war going on, how can they send out men to fight? It is our people who will suffer, our men will die, our women will become widows, the children of our kingdom becoming orphans."

"He knows that his end is near. Him marrying Jane Ainsworth is a feeble attempt to prevent me from ascending the throne, by trying to conceive yet another heir. And now, he wants to prove to the world that he is a powerful monarch by waging wars on other kingdoms. Poorer kingdoms," Edmund spoke softly as he leaned closer to me and grasped my hand. "But Anne, what if the people do grow to love him? What if that Jane Ainsworth does bear him an heir?"

There was fear in those pale green eyes of his, and his hands trembled ever so slightly as he held mine. "They will not, Edmund," I said simply.

"Even now, the people abhor him. He is the fat tyrant who raises the taxes just so he could have a large feast every single day. He is the cruel husband who will marry his dead wife's sister in less than a year. The people hate him, and by forcing them to go to war, their hatred will intensify," I suggested.

Edmund did not reply, and he turned to lay his head on my lap.

"I am afraid, Anne," he murmured as I gently stroked his hair, but I could not tell him not to be. Our futures were uncertain, and our king was becoming delusional. My fingers gently traced his neck, and I recalled that in the past, many kings had executed their kinsmen in fear of them usurping the throne. Would that be Edmund's fate someday?

I returned to the capital with Edmund as soon as the one month period ended, and luckily I was unaffected by the plague. Edmund's quick actions had proven to be fruitful, and very few people were infected, and the plague failed to spread to other regions. Claudie and her children were to remain in Cindertrappe, as no one in both Phoenicia and Terrawyn knew that they were still alive. For their own safety, they remained there, hidden from the rest of the world.

"One day, they can walk freely too without a bounty on their heads, Edmund. Edgar can inherit his father's position, and we shall find a good husband for Anna-Maria. Also, once we arrive at Rhyland, I shall ask my father to look into the old records so that we can find your mother, hm?" I said to Edmund while we were in the carriage.

"Whether or not that will happen depends on me, Anne," Edmund said softly. "However, I do appreciate your help greatly." He then stroked my hair gently, and at this moment I regretted that Lisbeth was not here to witness this, or I could have witnessed the biggest tantrum of my lifetime.

We arrived in Rhyland at nighttime, and my father was already waiting at the front door anxiously with Gilbert, while my mother and sister were nowhere to be seen.

"Annie, you stupid thing!" Gilbert shouted as he rushed towards me, his face slowly turning red. "Where did you go? Did you think that it is funny to suddenly disappear? And for a month!"

In the next moment, he was hugging me, and I heard my father chuckle while saying, "You could've just said that you missed your sister, Gilbert."

Gilbert pulled away from me and with an extremely sour face, he said, "I did not. You know what Annie, I ate so many sweets and desserts while you were gone, so I don't miss you at all."

"I missed you too, dumb fool," I shot back. Gilbert was then silent, and he quickly pulled me aside before whispering to me, "I think she likes me Annie. Princess Margaret."

"The princess likes fools? Such horrible taste she has," I giggled. Gilbert flushed furiously and said, "I'm not kidding, Annie. She smiled at me! I'm certain that she likes me."

I found Gilbert enthusiasm rather amusing, and to tell the truth, Princess Margaret marrying into House of Winterbourne was not a bad thing, so I was not against Gilbert's infatuations. My family's influence would grow rapidly if Princess Margaret married into our house, and along with that, our power will increase.

I saw neither Lisbeth nor my mother that night, and I quietly retreated into my room. Edmund also stayed for the night, and the next day he would leave for the palace. Before I went to bed, Gilbert had filled me in about all that occurred while I was gone. Benedict had already taken the two McCarthy girls as his mistresses, but there was no news about him having the intention to wed either of them. My sister's wedding had to be postponed due to her betrothed's father, the Earl of Springledge, had contracted a severe fever. And of course, Gilbert told me about all the brief encounters between him and Princess Margaret, and I was amused by how smitten my brother was.

Worn out by the journey, I slipped into my nightgown and fell asleep as soon as my head rested against the pillow. I had hoped for a long fulfilling sleep, but instead I had a dream.

As soon as I drifted to sleep, I heard the sound of someone weeping. It was dark and gloomy, but eventually my surroundings lightened up and I saw a large, lavish chamber with walls painted white and decorated with heavy tapestries and opulent paintings. There was a fireplace in the middle of the chamber, and the fire roared so violently that I could feel the heat right in front of my face. The room was eerily cold though, and a chilling breeze swept through. Other than the weeping, I heard nothing else. I saw a flag hung in the corner of the room, depicting the red phoenix, the symbol of our kingdom, Phoenicia. However, the flag was rather odd and different, unlike what I was used to seeing. The phoenix was surrounded by a wreath of blue cornflowers, the emblem of Lecarre. The flag itself was white, with the edges bordered with green and brown, the colours of the flag of Terrawyn. It was truly odd, and I wondered if that flag was just a fraud or a joke.

"The Queen doesn't have much time left," a woman said urgently. "Quick, make haste!"

I felt cold and weak, as if I was slowly fading away, melting into nothingness. I was wrapped within layers and layers of blankets and covers, swaddled like an infant, but I still felt cold. Suddenly, I was enveloped by warmth and I being lifted up gently.

"You must be strong, Annie," the man whispered, and he embraced me tighter. "Fight the pain for me. Please..." His voice sounded so weak, so desperate. I felt hot droplets fall onto my face, and he began to weep. It was the same weeping as before, but somehow my heart began to ache along with it.

"Please don't go, Annie," he cried one final time, but I was already too tired, and my eyes slowly closed. The world darkened, but his cries lingered still.