19 | the beastly beauty

After the wedding celebrations were done and over with, I moved on to my next agenda. I had to help Claudie and her children, as well as Edmund's mother, the Dowager Princess Consort . I entered my father's study that afternoon, hoping to find a solution to this matter.

"Annie," he said affectionately when he saw me. "Does the queen treat you well?"

I nodded untruthfully, hoping that Edmund did not let my father know about the mistreatment I received from Queen Jane. I sat down next to him and said, "Father, there is something you must know."

His eyes lit up with intrigue. "Do tell, Annie. What is it?" he replied.

"Duchess Anna-Claudia de Beauchamp has returned to Phoenicia, Father. Her husband, Philippe de Beauchamp has been assassinated by Terrawinian soldiers."

My father sighed and set the records he had been looking at previously aside. "I knew this was going to happen eventually."

"What do you mean by that?" I questioned urgently.

"The Terrawinian royal family, the Du Terres are rotten to the core, Annie. They tax their citizens heavily, but they give nothing in return. They live in the warm southeastern regions and bathe in the sunlight, while those who live in the north suffer greatly. There is little to no produce due to those harsh winters, but the king still taxes them. I have thought that all hope was lost for Terrawyn, that it would soon fall into shambles, but a very intelligent man emerged, that Philippe de Beauchamp. I've never seen someone rise to power so quickly in my life, and I don't think it will ever happen again. In less than five years, he went from being the third son of a mere baron to a highly influential duke. That man had traded with the northern people, bringing them out of their misery. The people no longer starved, and he grew richer. Soon, the whole kingdom began to love him, and the king was even more despised. When someone becomes more powerful than the king, things rarely end well. You know that don't you, Annie?" my father said.

I nodded solemnly. "But Father, we must help the Duchess and her children. They are staying at Edmund's Sterling Castle, and they can't go out since the Terrawinian soldiers are out for their heads!"

"Other than the Duke of Cindertrappe and yourself, who else knows about her whereabouts?" my father asked.

"No one but Edmund's servants, but they all pledge loyalty to him," I replied.

"Then all shall be well," Father sighed. "The king is planning to wed Princess Margaret to the Crown Prince of Terrawyn, Henri du Terre, and they plan to join forces in order to invade Lecarre. I'm afraid that if they do know where the Duchess is hiding, they might hand her over to the Terrawinians. At this point, Annie, our safest bet is to let her remain there until Edmund ascends the throne."

I pursed my lips bitterly and looked down at my feet. "Will he ever do so, Father?"
"You must have faith in him, Anne," my father answered simply.

When I eventually returned to the palace, Princess Margaret was two days away from being sent off to Terrawyn. There were large chests full of gold and crates filled to the brim with silk and brocade, all to become part of her enormous dowry. She was smiling from ear to ear, and it became apparent to me that this arrangement pleases her.

"Your Highness," I greeted her when I came across her in the corridor, and she gave me a cold smile and simply nodded before continuing to walk ahead.

"I have something to give to you, Princess Margaret," I called out, and the indignant princess stopped and turned to face me.

"If it is something from that fool, Gilbert Winterbourne, then I don't want it. How can he, a mere boy, compare to my betrothed, Prince Henri?" she spat. I felt anger bubble deep within my stomach when I heard her disrespect my twin, but I kept my face neutral.

She tossed her hair over her shoulders and crossed her arms.

"Although, I do feel that my hideous sister will suit him very well. A stupid fool and an ugly princess! A match made in heaven; don't you think?" she giggled.

I smiled coldly at her and said, "Yes, a match made in heaven indeed. My brother will surely treat Princess Cecily well, and he will ensure that she will never be hurt or heartbroken, something that even her blood sibling can't do."

Princess Margaret glared at me, and her pretty little mouth was pressed in a thin line. "He will not. That fool will only love me, and me alone! My sister's looks cannot compare to mine!"

"If so, I pray that my brother shall start to see the beauty of someone's heart, rather than their looks. Looks can be misleading, don't you think? You see someone so beautiful, so angelic, but their heart is black as coal, and stinks like a pile of rubbish."

I curtseyed and walked away from her, and I could hear her breathing heavily from all the pent up anger. "Know your place!" she shrieked loudly. "You are a mere commoner, Anne Winterbourne! And you will bow down to me until the day you die!"

I ignored her and walked away calmly. Oh, sweet Margaret, little does she know that she will not stay on her high pedestal for long. Her mother had fallen victim to that, and that has done nothing to make her humbler.

Queen Jane however, had become increasingly paranoid following the miscarriage and no longer invited her friends over, and after being reprimanded by the king, the days I spent washing feet was over, and all I had to do was to pick out her clothes and jewelry. She dismissed half of her servants, yet she still kept me by her side.

"Lady Winterbourne," she called for me suddenly while I combed down her long straw coloured hair. "You were present on the day that young Prince George died, weren't you?"

I was shocked by her sudden questioning, but I swiftly hid my fears. "Yes, I was present on that day, Your Majesty."

Queen Jane pursed her thin lips tightly, and I could see her body tense up. "So was the Duke of Cindertrappe, hm?"

"That day was to celebrate Prince George's birth, Your Majesty. He had to be there," I answered calmly, but my response didn't seem to please her.

"The Prince's birth must've displeased him greatly. A rightful heir to the throne has been born, one that has the true, legitimate Chauvelot blood at that! And the Duke, what is he? The son of an illegitimate prince, whose wife was a commoner!" Queen Jane laughed shrilly.

"Edmund of Cindertrappe must've killed off Prince George, and now he is trying to kill my son!" she cried.

"My betrothed has never lusted for the throne. He is an honest and true person, and he would never resort to deception. Nor is he a greedy man," I retorted. "Unless something that rightfully belongs to him is stolen, that is."

Queen Jane fell silent, and I continued on brushing her hair. I braided them neatly, and helped her change into her nightdress. Right before I left for my own chambers, she called out for me again.

"I am with child again, Lady Winterbourne," Queen Jane spoke, her steely blue eyes glaring at me as if I were a predator. "And this time, I want you to monitor all my food and drink, so that what happened before can never repeat."

I smiled bitterly and curtseyed. "That will be my greatest pleasure, Your Majesty."

Queen Jane's lips curled into a sickly sweet smile, and she said to me, "You must be aware that if I lose this child, you will bear the consequences, Lady Winterbourne. If he dies, I will send for your head. My son shall one day be the rightful heir to this kingdom, and you should be proud to serve him from inside the womb!"

She patted her flat stomach in a loving manner, and it disgusted me. "Ah yes, I shall name him Gregory, after one of the greatest kings our kingdom has ever had. It will be very fitting for him, the son of a just king and a noble blooded queen."

I gritted my teeth and forced myself to smile, and I curtseyed for her again. "Yes, how very fitting. I would be glad to sacrifice my life for His Royal Highness, the rightful heir."

Queen Jane waved her hand in the air and scoffed at me. "I do not care about your sincerity or gladness. He is the future king of this nation, and it is your duty to die for him, Lady Winterbourne."