20 | to hold you

Princess Margaret was sent off to Terrawyn in a massive procession, and she did not even bother to say goodbye to my brother. Although I am certain that Gilbert must be heartbroken, it is probably for the best that he remains silent. Queen Jane seems to be pleased by Princess Margaret's engagement, as it would strengthen the relations between the two kingdoms, thus making things easier for her unborn child in the future.

The paranoid Queen Jane had initially forced me to test each and every dish served on her table, but Edmund soon got word of this, and he sent over a food-tester, along with the message, 'If you want Lady Winterbourne to take responsibility if any harm were to befall on the prince, then you must also pay the price if my betrothed were to be harmed.'

I witnessed Queen Jane's alabaster skin swiftly turn into a cherry red hue as she barked at the messenger to leave. Throughout the day, she seemed as if she was ready to strangle me and cut off my head, but thankfully she was blissfully silent. Only two days ago she had called Edmund the son of a bastard prince and a common harlot, but today, after being reprimanded by him, she had not voiced a single complaint.

It was only after several days that I finally understood. Word had spread that Edmund of Cindertrappe will soon be appointed as the commander of Phoenicia's army against Lecarre, and Queen Jane's own father, the Marquis of Lansbury had to serve under him, and their family's soldiers were reduced significantly.

My own uncle had retired, and my cousin Benedict was a hopeless man who spent his life squandering around with women and alcohol. It seemed that House of Moreau's days of glory were soon coming to an end, and while it barely affected my family's prosperity, I could not completely turn a blind eye to it, as my mother was born a Moreau, and any humiliation they suffered would also splash onto me. My brother Gilbert was adamant in his decision to participate in the invasion despite my father's reprimand. Gilbert was determined to bring glory to the House of Winterbourne, and he wanted to receive a rank of his own, rather than just inheriting my father's. Lisbeth's husband, the young Count whose father just died, was a scholarly man and had no experience on the battlefield or handling a sword, and thus he will not participate.

"Once Princess Margaret is wedded to Henri du Terre, the forces of Terrawyn and Phoenicia will unite against Lecarre, Annie. This invasion will be highly profitable, but it is far from moral," Edmund whispered to me that night as we stood by the open balcony, allowing the warm spring air to envelop us.

"Then why do you insist to go, Edmund?" I asked him.

"I must win more support, Annie. If this invasion succeeds, the people will stand by my side, rather than that of a prince that hasn't even been born yet, or a king who does nothing for his kingdom other than waging pointless wars," Edmund explained. "The more they love me, the more they will hate him."

I let out a sigh and gazed into his pale green eyes. "But you do know that being more powerful than the king is dangerous, don't you? Your late brother-in-law was a good enough example, Edmund. And how can you stomach fighting alongside the very troops who mutilated him?"

Edmund bent his knees so that he could stand on my eye level, smiling bitterly. "I cannot, Annie. They disgust me. But what can I do now, when I am a mere duke? Once the crown is on my head, Annie, I will invade Terrawyn exactly how they plan to invade Lecarre, and I will put that corrupt King Antonin in his place."

"But he is ailing now, isn't he? By the time we do invade them, wouldn't it be Margaret's husband who sits on the throne?"

He grinned. "Even better, Annie. That fool would be so much easier to deal with than his crook of a father."