Three - The Scorch Trials

"But I'd lay my armour down if you say you'd rather love than fight."

Penelope

Penelope

It has been approximately thirty six days since Vince and the Right Arm soldiers rescued Gally and I from the maze, and every day since has been spent training and working between combat and medical facilities with Mary. I've been spending most of my time training and getting stronger while Sonya and Harriet finally enlisted me into the Right Arm soldiers associate squad, in which I was able to get deployed on missions with them.

It was exhausting if I'm honest, and I hadn't had a day off, severely reminding me of being in the glade, when Alby said we wouldn't get days off because to be constantly working was better than to be lazy. I suppose he was right, but it didn't make it any less irritating to deal with.

I missed Alby day by day, and longed to have a night-time talk with Zart once again or wear Clint's jacket without feeling a hollowed out emptiness that was replaced in the absence of their presence. I knew, however, there was nothing I could do to ignore these feelings, so I always simply worked through them and tried not to focus on them more than I had to.

"You're holding it the wrong way." The gun was tilted slightly to the left in Gally's hand as he stood side-ways, his eyes locked solely on the target. Gally had been healing nicely after the first few days of pain, and he said he was all better now, though it was easy to see how winded he got from simply running or doing far too much exercise within one given period.

Nevertheless, Gally was working through it and was favoured by Vince far more than I was, and was instantly recruited into his own regiment of Right Arm soldiers, whereas I was under another wing with Harriet and Sonya, and we had to go on different missions rather than go out together. It was irritating at first, knowing I wouldn't be able to protect him, and he wouldn't be able to protect me the same, but we managed to get through it without complaining that much.

"You have to loop with your thumb, not your index finger, otherwise you'll have shaky hands." Gally sighs, moving to stand beside me and pressing his body up against mine. One of Gally's large hands rests on my hip to ensure I'm facing the right way, and his other hand gently rests on top of my hand on the pistol I was wielding to help with my positioning.

I felt Gally's hot breath fanning against my breath as I took my aim to the target, pulling on the trigger when Gally's thumb motioned for me to do so. "See? Bullseye again." Gally slowly took a step back, and I smiled at him after he did so.

"Maybe I should stick to axes, and you can stick to guns." Gally rubbed the back of his neck after that. "You gonna cut trees or something? Cause there's this big ass oak tr-"

"Not funny." I let out a small laugh as I waved Gally off with my hand, turning around to discard the gun onto the ground. "Wanna go again?"

"You're asking to get your ass beat, miss Jones." I roll my eyes after Gally's comment, watching as he also disarms himself so we could go straight to hand-to-hand combat without weapons. "On the count of three? No nutshots, by the way.."