Twenty Three - Ending One

"down my arms, a thousand satellites suddenly discover sings of life."

Penelope

Penelope

The first time I ever met Newt, I pulled a knife on him. My head is coping with humor and telling me that this is his revenge, that the pain will go away and we're back in the glade. I blink and wait, it never comes.

Everything was coming back in chunks, my memories from the maze and from my life before. I wasn't sure what to make of anything in my dizzy and disoriented state. The blood on my lower abdomen felt cold, even with my hand pressed against it.

"Newt asked me to leave with you guys." My voice broke the silence that had momentarily taken over the two of us, a brief mourning period which had barely begun before being interrupted.

"If anyone could make you come with us, I figured it'd be him." I blinked a couple of times, averting my gaze to Jeff now, motioning him to go on.

He let out a small chuckle, as though he knew all of the world's secrets and I was a mere traveler to it. "That boy would drop anything for you, break every required wall or force. He's so blindly in love with you that I'm certain he'd stay here with you if it really came down to it."

My lip was bleeding. I only noticed when I stopped biting down so hard on it due to the metallic taste that begun to flood my mouth. I wiped my mouth with my free hand and I had rolled over onto my side, I tried recalling the recovery position but it felt useless.

Thomas and Newt were so close to each other, for a moment I thought they were hugging, deceived without seeing the glint of the silver, bloodied knife.

"It won't mean goodbye, no matter what happens, okay?" I whispered this time, just inches away from his face as he pressed his forehead against mine and refused to break eye contact.

"I can't lose you, not again." I couldn't stand the look on Newt's face, as though he were the most fragile thing in the world.

Our moment of weakness and vulnerability was accompanied by Newt gently pressing his lips to mine in a kiss.

The feeling of Newt's lips against mine was passionate, nothing like the roughness and desperation that Thomas had kissed me with, it felt like coming home after a long day of working, or like the color yellow.

The way Newt had completely knocked down the walls to my heart never failed to shock me, even if our relationship was constantly rocking with every step we tried to take.

Everything in my body started to hurt less, my vision was blurring in and out, I watched a body hit the ground but it was hard to tell who it was. I wanted to stand up and go over, to help, but for once in my life I felt truly defeated.

I wanted to be strong, like Minho, or compassionate like Frypan, and I wondered if I was a little more like the others, if I could've done something to prevent this happening. To prevent anything happening, even leaving the maze.