Twenty Two - The Death Cure

"Rocket ships will take off, whether you're in them or not; it's sad but it's the truth, the world would still turn without you."

sorry this took so long, love u guys <3

Penelope

When I woke up, I wasn't sure where I was, my vision was blurred and my head was pounding, like my brain was scratching and kicking my skull in an attempt to pry itself free. The pain is practically unbearable, and the developing migraine isn't the worst of it.

I was half sitting up and half laying down at the end of the staircase, and there was another flight of stairs below me, the last leg of the stairs. My ankle was turned 90 degrees in the wrong way, or maybe 180, I can't think in this moment. The pain was throbbing and slowly coursing through my body, my ankle was appearing to be broken and it wasn't even half of the pain I was experiencing.

I dig through my medjack belt, pulling out some flimsy bandages and wrapping them around my now exposed stomach to where my gunshot wound was still bleeding out, slowly. The bullet was still in the wound and I was thanking the Gods for that. "Come on, come on.." I mumble out, tying it at the side as I went as quickly as I could. There was too much pressure and I felt my hands shaking despite my frustration towards tying it.

I got it eventually, and tried to stand up. "Come on.." I nearly screamed out at the pain that was inflicted upon me as I stood up. I knew I couldn't take my time with Newt waiting.

Come on Penny. This time, it wasn't me speaking.

Is Brenda nearly there, Tommy?

There was no response, and I tumbled back down to my feet as soon as I got close to standing up, causing a strangled yell of pain to leave my throat. For a moment or two I debated if death would be the better option for me, but it was far too selfish and got pushed to the back of my mind as fast as the idea had approached me.

"Okay, new tactic." I groan under my breath as I roll onto my side. "If I can just slide down one step at a time.." I trail off, positioning myself on the top step of the staircase.

I had made progress, holding onto the railing, and was about three steps down. "Finally.." I mumble out. My victory, however, was short-lived when I heard crackling, like a fire, and turning around had only confirmed my suspicions when I saw the fire from explosions, it was fast travelling and slowly making its way towards me; at the rate I'm travelling at, I'll be toast in seconds.

"Okay, new tactic." I take in a deep breath, preparing myself for a whole new wave of pain before launching myself down the stairs, cursing and screaming out as I bashed down each step.

I'm bound to lose a few brain cells from that one.

The fall wasn't horrendous, but the pain was, and the agony it put me through was nearly impossible to survive. I wanted to give up, but I didn't. I grabbed onto the handrail and pulled myself up.