Twenty - The Death Cure

"If we had five more minutes of air to breathe, and we cried all through it. But you spent them with me."

Penelope

Penelope

If fate is predetermined, are we living in a godless world? The morbid thought had crossed my mind at least a thousand times these past few months. I think, or at least I want to think, that no average person should have to go through what I've gone through, and every time my trauma creeps back up on me, I'm reminded that perhaps others have gone through much worse.

Every time I'm feeling bad about the maze and what happened, and how awful my life had become after, I have to remind myself that I'm lucky to be gifted with a life after the maze, after some of the people I grew closest to were no longer alive.

Minho pulled me out of the water soon enough, but my coughing took a few seconds to subside, and I felt entirely numb, as though the water had washed off the adrenaline that now felt long gone. 

"You four, don't move!" My nerves shot through the roof when I turned around only to be faced with four more W.I.C.K.E.D. guards.

I swear, it's like they're fans.

Who wouldn't be?

Aw, thanks Tommy.

I was talking about me.

I roll my eyes, turning my attention back to the guards who held their bolt guns directly towards us, "You've gotta be kidding me." Minho sighed as Newt gently whacked his arm. 

"Take it easy.." The guards yelled, moving further towards us as I slowly lowered my hand to my medjack belt, reaching for my axe.

"Don't even think about it!" I froze instantly. "Now get on your knees, with your hands in the air."

I looked over at Thomas for some sort of guidance, since he always seemed to be the one with the plans, but even he looked stunned with shock as we weighed out our options of how to retaliate.

It took seconds for one of the guards to turn around and fire three shots, hitting each of the other guards before turning back to us with their gun raised, and for a moment I thought we were next on his hit list until he pulled his helmet up, revealing the face of Gally.

Before I could speak, Minho looked at us, then at Gally, then at us, then at Gally. "Gally?"

In all honesty, I had sort of forgotten that Gally had 'died' a little while ago in the maze. "Hey Minho..you guys are nuts." I smile coyly at Gally who just shakes his head, motioning for us to follow him. "I'll explain later." Thomas patted Minho on the shoulder and I let out a small laugh before following Gally.

We ran through the backstreets of the city for a long time, and eventually we hid behind some shrubbery by the pavement, blending in as the sirens blared from all around us. "Lawrence." I spoke out now, watching as fire began growing on unimportant buildings and statues.