~171~ Promise You Won't Say Anything?

Ellie's POV

Nolan is doing homework, and I'm throwing in a load of laundry before I order the pizza. I have no idea what kinds of food these kids like, so I don't want to risk having something they won't eat. Most kids like pizza, so I figured it was the safest thing to do.

Nolan finishes one of his pages, and sighs.

"Dad, can I please just have a pass? I'm sorry."

"Nope," Taylor says as he checks over the homework page Nolan just did.

"I just hate being left out," Nolan says quietly.

Taylor looks up from the paper and looks at him hard. "And I hate being lied to."

"Please? I promise I will try really hard to stop lying."

"I'm glad you're going to try hard, kid. That will save your behind a lot of misery."

"So you will give me a pass?"

Taylor chuckles. "No. Keep asking me, and I'll add on another 30."

"How many am I getting?" Nolan asks darkly.

Taylor sighs. "Keep testing my patience, kid."

Nolan shakes his head. It was easier when he would just do whatever we said without arguing. A lot easier.

"What time are they getting here?" Taylor asks.

"No set time. I figured I'd have the pizzas here by 6. I don't want to rush them."

"Is Ethan going to get spanked now?" Nolan asks as he gets out more homework.

"No," Taylor says, shaking his head. "Not until they are officially adopted. They can't be spanked while being fostered."

"Some people have all the luck," he mutters under his breath.

Taylor sighs and stands up. He grabs Nolan and pulls him to standing. "Sorry, what?"

"Nothing"

Taylor nods. "I'm not sure where your attitude is coming from, but it had better stop. Why are you so mad?"

Nolan just looks at Taylor.

"Answer me now. What are you so mad about?"

He shakes his head and sniffs. "I just didn't like mom not being there today."

"Why?"

Nolan shrugs.

Taylor sighs and pulls him into a hug. "I'm sorry. But that is going to happen once in a while. Doesn't give you the right to lie or have an attitude."

"I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry too. I'm still spanking you before bed. Sit down and finish your homework. Right now."

"Yes sir," he says as he sits back down.

When the pizzas get here, I put them in the oven to keep them warm. Jake and his family come over about 15 minutes later.

As soon as he walks in, Jake gives me a small smile. I think it's going ok.

Ethan and Zoe walk in, and Sarah walks in last. Zoe is a cute little girl with black hair. Ethan's hair isn't quite as dark, it's more of a brown. It's almost Jake's color. They're both on the slimmer side, and both cute.

As soon as Ethan sees me, I know he recognizes me from school. I don't recognize him, though. I don't know most of the kids that go there. He doesn't say anything as he looks away quickly. He looks terrified.