Chapter One: Right place, right time

'Thank you for your time Dr Hanover!' I said cheerfully as I exited the grand rounded office. My scuffed black pumps tapped neatly on the floor and the hemline of my crimson skirt swayed as I walked. I had just finished an interview for the day shift nurse at Lucia state hospital, I was given the position and due to start tomorrow. This was a big step and I was destined to be a trophy wife with red lips rouged cheeks and screaming babies on my hips. I had come from a sheltered background of misogyny and control, I went against my families wishes to be a destitute housewife living on the cusp of what life has to offer.

I helped out as a nurse in my hometown's local infirmary and was posted to positions within the war as a nurse. I'd met a vast amount of people there but only one stood out to me; Eileen Summers. It was forbidden love that bloomed during the summer of 1944. It was exciting and secretive; sneaking out for late night walks and hiding out in trees surrounding our post. It wasn't particular busy until late 1945 where tension rose with Japan and America was on guard. She died by late 1945 due to a mine that exploded near her station. I was distraught, but it's been a few years and I am ready to face the world and find a good husband like my mother would have wanted.

I gathered my thoughts, knowing my dreams were being put into action. I was finally going to live the life I wanted. 'Oh god' I exclaimed as I dropped a slip of paper on the floor while exiting the corridor. I bent down to reach for it, smoothing and positioning my skirt as i kneeled when i saw a delicate and cold hand grab the corner. I looked up and saw a face, it was sculpted and stern with an aura of mystery. She had warm brown eyes which seemed the only bright thing about her complexion except a marigold yellow matching dress and coat set which was draped and cinched perfectly around her curves. 'Thank you ma'am' I stuttered in a southern tone. She gave me one last piercing glance and walked the same direction I had came from. I collected myself and tried to walk steadily down the ornate hallway. 'Who was she?' i wondered, not knowing if i would ever see her again or know her name.

I had a gut feeling i had to figure out who she was, it seemed important but I couldn't figure
out why. I decide to wait in the lobby until she exited the building. I was willing to sacrifice the date i had lined up with Gerald Hard-stoke. A rather skinny man that my father had paired me up with. 'An old golf fellow' was how he was described. To plain and simple for my liking

*Thank you for reading! I will try to release chapters daily*