Chapter Four: Entrance

My great aunt drove me up to the hospital as it was my first day. She was a small but mighty women with a permed, outdated hairstyle and chunky beaded necklaces which adorned her wrists and neck. 'You ready sugar?' she rasped, as the car came to a halt outside the grand white building. My mind thought of Mildred again and I peaked out the window to see if she was anywhere. 'What you looking for? A gentleman?' She huffed. 'Hmm no, I didn't see any gentlemen at the hospital yesterday. I'd best be off my shift starts soon, I don't want to make a bad impression.' I said distantly. 'Yes of course sweet child, here take this' She handed me a coral red lipstick. 'My mother gave me this, stay beautiful Candace' She smooshed her lips onto my cheek and ushered me away. I stood, intimidated, on the ground and prepared to walk in to the hospital.

I walked in, purse and newly acquired lipstick in hand and was immediately interrupted from my meek strut by a feisty and studious woman who I assumed to be, head nurse. 'Nurse Bucket' She spat, holding out a veiny hand. 'Candace Jolia' I replied, surprisingly, with a confident tone. 'Right this way.' I followed the woman down a bright corridor, I heard screams, moans and cries from behind the doors I walked past, I'd wondered what I'd got myself in for as I wandered, following Nurse Bucket as if tied to her. 'Right, this is the recreation room, you may use the icebox and appliances and it is your duty to help keep this room clean. Clear?' 'Crystal' I responded. 'May I ask where the the restroom is?' 'Down the hall we just came down, on the left.' 'Thank you, ma'am.' The woman nodded and left. I placed my bag and lipstick down on the table in the room and wandered down to go to the restroom. I heard the sounds I heard once before, as I paid more attention I noticed the pain and suffering in those sounds. I'm glad I am in my position, a position of help and duty. I am determined not to be distracted and thought of as the slacker nurse, the lazy, inadequate nurse as I was in my last post.

'Ah no' I thought, realising I'd left my lipstick in the recreation room. I wanted to apply it just before my shift started. I walked back to the room, so set on getting the lipstick that I didn't even realise she was in the room. Sitting quietly and observing the me in the corner.