Chapter Two: Waiting game

I watched at nurses whizzed by me and patients screamed and wandered aimlessly around the lobby. The lobby was decorated as if a prestigious hotel rather then an mental health institute. There was still a tinge of its sanitary and regimented ways as the lino floor was uneven and the walls were a signature sickly cream that seemed to lurk on every hospital wall. I was starting to drift off when I heard a familiar tapping sound of heels that seemed to awaken me like an earthquake.
It was her.
I smoothed down my hair and adjusted my skirt and stood, wobbly as I had been seated for the past hour. The woman gave me an odd look; I didn't know whether it was confusion or something else. No matter what I thought nothing could sidetrack me from walking up to her intimidating demeanour. With sweating palms and a frigid expression I tapped her gently on the shoulder. She swiftly turned towards me, not a hair on her head moved out of her bun, and said 'Excuse me?'. I froze. I felt like a small puppy being pinned down by a wolf, she must be about 10 years my senior and this thought only made me more nervous. The time between when she spoke up till the time I had the courage to respond felt never ending. 'I was just wondering if you were applying here ma'am. I saw you walk to Dr Hanover's office where I just had my interview and-'. 'Yes' she said in a smooth and calming way. 'Unfortunately I did not get the position, however I may know how'. She smiled gently and put her hand on my shoulder. I shuddered slightly and said 'May I ask of your name?' 'Mildred' she replied 'Mildred Ratched'. She removed her hand from my shoulder nodded and exited the building perfectly as if rehearsed.

*Thanks for reading, chapters out daily*