Chapter Four: A Tense Encounter

I grabbed my lipstick off the table grasping it tightly and set to go back to the bathroom ' you seem in a rush' she said ominously. I jumped and nervously said ' oh yeah'. I was shaking as her intense, tender glare pierced my eyes. Then she got up and walked towards me swiftly and elegantly like a snake, she seemed unpredictable like a snake. She slithered over to me and looked me in the eyes and with a small smirk said 'here, let me'. She took the lipstick out my hand and popped of the lid all while maintaining eye contact. Her warm brown eyes created safety in her harsh visage and i fell into them and their beauty as she neatly applied the lipstick. 'It suits you well' she said. I didn't know what to do I just froze and absorbed the moment. She giggled slightly as she stepped away to look at her work; she smiled and nodded then left the room glancing back as she walked through the door.

I thought I was going to faint. Why was I feeling like this? It can't be what I think it is. I have plans, plans to impress my family and lead a simple honest life but she lit a fire in me which roared with rebellion and i wanted nothing more than to discard the future set out for me. Fuelled my rebellion and lust I followed after mildred, to speak to her just before my shift started.

I stormed down the hallways nodding at nurses and patients alike to not cause suspicion as i was acting out of sorts. I trusted my intuition as i winded through the hospital and swiftly turned corners and walked past industrial doors when I came across one, slightly ajar and wondered in. Sure enough she was there, delicately sterilising equipment. She had noticed my presence immediately, peering up at me like a small child. 'Shouldn't you be staring your shift?' she said harshly, knocking out the confidence and hope I built as i walked here. 'Uh yes, I just came here to ask-' 'go on spit it out' she snarled. Taken aback by her harsh tone I said 'What did you think you were doing in the staff room?' ' Excuse me?' 'It seemed quite, how to i put it, flirtatious?' The confidence was building. ' Excuse me Miss-'
'It's Jolia' she seemed threatened but she seemed to enjoy it in a weird way. 'If you are hinting what what I think you are then you should choose your next words carefully' she looked me up and down hesitantly. I twirled a lock of coily hair around my finger. 'And what would that be? Lesbianism?' terror shot across her face. 'Get out of my sight Miss Jolia' She pointed towards the door hesitantly as if she didn't really want to me to leave. 'Are you threatened Nurse Ratched? Or is that something else etched on your face?' I almost couldn't believe how I was acting but things were going my way. I walked closer to her, slowly and steadily, she had stopped sterilising equipment and was standing there with as much stature she could muster. 'You are incredibly rude, I said I wanted you out!' 'Oh what a shame, i thought i made a good first impression Mildred?' She looked me, eyes warmly again, at this point we stood about 30 cm apart.

' I think i was right.' I said and a glimmer of it flashed across her eyes.