Chapter Ten

• • •
C O N N O R
• • •

He was already in there when I walked in. Of course this is the one goddamn time he gets to school early. I kept my eyes down so that he couldn't read me as easily as he usually does.

"Hey," he greeted me, and I forced a smile up at him, but then moved to plug my phone into the outlet next to the stage. I heard him walking over to where we usually spent the period, took another silent breath, and then joined him.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, noticing that I was acting down. I just shrugged it off.

"I have a test I didn't study for," I tried to explain, but part of me knew that he didn't believe this was the whole truth.

And then my eyes accidentally drifted to his neck, where a hickey was peaking out from beneath his turtleneck. I quickly averted my gaze back down, but not before I saw his eyes widen slightly in what I would have thought was realization and slight panic if I hadn't known any better.

"Do you care if I study while you do your thing?" I got out, and he swallowed, but shook his head.

The one time I let my trust issues down. I guess I just didn't think it would be this soon after I did so that I'd be reminded of why I needed them there.

"Listen, um, about me leaving so quickly yesterday," he started, but I just brushed it off and turned around to get some books out of my bag.

"It's fine," I lied, "So you two are a thing? You and Alesia?" I asked, some part of me wanting to know what he'd say.

"Oh, no," he answered knowingly with a small chuckle, "we used to be, though. Her brother used to give me a lot of shit for it," his smile faltered a little at the mention of her brother, but then he just cleared his throat and continued, "we were each other's first everything's, but we don't work together. We learned that the hard way," he finished, but I just nodded, turning my attention to back to my books.

I knew my face was burning... just not for the reasons it usually did when he was around.

I felt him come over to me and saw him sit down in front of me, collected sympathy and concern dwelling in his eyes. But I didn't keep the eye contact as he said, "What's wrong, Cielo?" I winced a little at the nickname.

What's wrong is that you were supposed to be different.

You weren't supposed to abandon me just yet.

"The test, I told you," I tried to brush it off again, but this time it was obvious that he didn't believe me.

"Do you want me to help you study?" He offered anyway, and I forced a small smile, even as my heart rate picked up and I could feel my mind start to slip out of that numb space that I hadn't finished slipping into.

"No, it's fine thanks," I declined, and he went to say something else, but stopped himself. I kept my eyes glued to the textbook on my lap as he got up to go to the piano.

And the rest of the period was just torture. Awkward, terrible torture. I wondered if he knew why I was acting so strange to him. When it finally, finally came to an end, I grabbed my phone and repacked my bag in anticipation of the bell.