Chapter 9

Evelyn sat on her bed and looked at all the clothing boutique bags around her that Pepper's assistant purchased. She was overwhelmed and shocked. Along the wall was the keyboard Pepper insisted on getting with her after talking to Bruce about Evelyn's recovery plan - not taking no for an answer.

She looked at the tray of food that Pepper ordered for her and felt her stomach rumble; pasta and garlic bread. She couldn't even remember the last time she had a real meal. Grabbing the garlic bread she took a small bite while scooting on her bed to look through the clothes that had been chosen for her. She was in awe of the different clothes and styles. The bag of undergarments made her blush - it was an array of all the colors of the rainbow and in every style, she thought they made. She decided to go through the clothes and put them away in the dresser. Even though she didn't know how long she would be in this room she hated clutter. She took a bite of the pasta and groaned, "Carbs how I missed you."

Pepper had told her not to worry about how much the items cost but she felt sick when she saw some of the price tags of the clothes. She put the gorgeous tops in an empty bag to send back to the store. Nope, I can't accept these.

She stood back feeling accomplished at her work. It had taken her hours but it was all done. She had kept all the jeans, leggings, and shorts picked out. Her tops consisted of some workout tops, t-shirts, and nice sweaters. She kept the tennis shoes but sent back the rest of the footwear - she had always been a practical shoe kind of girl. She kept all the modest underwear, except two sets that were too beautiful to send back. Yawning she looked at the clock to see 11 pm and realized she should head to bed.

She crawled into her plush bed not evening changing out of the t-shirt and leggings she had worn. She leaned over, turned off the light,  sunk into the plushness of the bed, and felt like she was on a cloud.

"I choose her," the familiar voice spoke.

"Good choice Mr. Pierce, we will begin injections this evening," a deeper voice says

Evelyn is lying on a metal bed. She smells smoke and realizes in an instant it's coming from her. She thinks back and sees fire everywhere and is being carried out of the house by someone.

Evelyn shoots up out of bed frantically. Her breathing is rapid and she feels like she may have a panic attack.

"Miss you seem in distress shall I page Mr. Banner?" F.R.I.D.A.Y. says

"No, I'm fine," Evelyn says, trying to compose herself. She looks at the clock and reads 5 a.m. Knowing there isn't a way she's risking finishing that nightmare she jumps out of bed,  pulls her hair into a high ponytail, and heads out of the room. The floor is cold under her bare feet. Why didn't I think to put on shoes? She continues to the common room kitchen to grab some food. Grabbing a bottle of water an apple for herself and a muffin for Bruce she heads back to the Medical floor to get her shoes. Bruce is asleep leaning on a desk snoring. Evelyn laughs quietly and sets the muffin next to him.

After grabbing her shoes she heads to the gym where she had physical therapy with Nat. She hated working out but remembered it helped to clear her mind. Walking into the gym she was immediately intimidated but all the equipment she didn't have the slightest idea how to use. Her eyes fell on the treadmill and she smiled and started the machine up. She walked slowly for about 20 minutes and then spotted the punching bag. What the hell - my arms need to work out too. As she started to punch the bag her memory flashed to her. Green eyes with specks of brown peered at her

"You're mine."

Evelyn punched the bag with all the force she had and kept punching. No, I'm free now. You won't touch me again. She kept punching feeling the anger leave her body. "I'm free," she said aloud with a resounding hit to the bag. She raised her hands over her head catching her breath not noticing the small tears that had started to form on the bag.