Chapter 16

Later that night Natasha left Evelyn's room after making plans for them to all get ready together in Natasha's room in the afternoon. She walked past the floor's living room area and saw Steve and Bucky sitting on the couch.

"Nat?" Steve said looking at her then the clock, "What are you still doing up?"

"Heading to bed now Dad," Natasha said laughing, "Evelyn finally fell asleep."

"Evelyn?" Bucky said looking at her then Steve, "She moved into the spare room?"

"Steve didn't tell you Bucky? Hmm how weird," Natasha said innocently walking to the elevator. Looking back she saw they were exchanging quiet looks. Before getting on the elevator she looked at them, "take care boys."

"You knew?" Bucky asked, cocking his head at his friend when the elevator door closed.

"Yeah, Tony told me and then after training when you were in the shower I ran into her when she was heading up to see Bruce." Steve said looking at Bucky on the opposite corner of the sectional.

"And you didn't think to share this information because?" Bucky asked

"Because I thought it'd be funny to see you get flustered if you ran into her," Steve said laughing

"I don't get flustered around women," Bucky said, rolling his eyes at his friend.

"No, but you do get flustered around her," Steve said, getting up and walking to his room.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to have her on our floor?" Bucky asked his friend to join him in the hallway.

"Buck, you've seen her nightmares. A room on the floor with two people who know how to calm someone down might be the best option," Steve said stopping.

"Promise me Steve, if I get out of control you won't let me hurt her," Bucky said looking at the ground

"I promise, but I know you wouldn't hurt her," Steve said, patting him on the back and they continue to walk to their own rooms.

---------

Evelyn woke up groggy and stretched widely in her bed. She rolled out of her bed and went into the bathroom to wash her face. Natasha had made her promise to do some training this morning before they started to get ready for the party. After washing her face she changed into her work out gear and made sure the scar on her back was covered up. She did not feel like explaining that again so soon. She headed into the hallway and heard talking in the living room and took a deep breath to steel her nerves.

As she got to the living room she saw Steve and Sam sitting on the couch. "Hey Evelyn, " Steve waved from the couch. "Want to join us on our run? We're just waiting on Buck to get motivated."

Evelyn smiled at both men, "Morning guys, and as awesome as that sounds I am running late for training with Nat."

"Training before a party? Shouldn't you guys be doing a pamper thing?" Sam asked, turning towards her.

"I guess that's the plan for afterwards," she laughed, "are you guys all ready for tonight?"

"Yeah, thankfully we don't have to put much thought in our outfits," Steve laughed, "are you still nervous?"

"Terrified, but at least I know my first dance won't be awkward and the partner won't be a creep," Evelyn laughed "thank you again Steve."

"No problem Evelyn. You'll have a wonderful night. It's nice to forget all this other stuff even for a couple hours," Steve replied

"You gonna save a dance for me E?" Sam asked her as she was clicking the call button on the elevator.

"Of course Sam, but you might want to ask Steve if it's worth it after I spend the first dance stepping all over his feet," she said laughing getting on the elevator and noticing Bucky was in the hallway walking towards the living room, "that goes for you too Buck!"

"Oh I know it'll be worth it," he smiled back at her noticing her blush again as the doors shut.

"Well looks like I'm screwed," Sam said jumping off the couch and heading to the elevator with Bucky and Steve.

------

"Not bad Evie," Natasha said as they hopped out of the ring to get water.

"Thanks Nat, but I feel like I just got my ass kicked for the past hour," Evelyn said rubbing her shoulders.

"It has just been a while since you used the muscles. I can't believe how fast you are." Natasha said taking a drink of her water

"I think we can thank the injections for that. I was no way near that fast before I was taken," Evelyn said looking at the ceiling. "Thank you for taking the time to teach me some moves."

"Well at least I know you throw a punch," Natasha said standing up grabbing her bag

"Oh I knew that long before Hydra. My Dad made sure to teach me and my sister how to fight when we were young." Evelyn said joining her walking out of the gym. You girls should never start a fight but you should always win it. She heard her Dad say.

"What do you think about going over fundamentals with the team once Wanda and Vision get here tomorrow?" Natasha asked while on the elevator

"No better time than the present. I just hope I don't embarrass myself too bad," Evelyn said honestly.

"Don't worry, you just have to do some of the moves I taught you today - you are quicker than anyone else on the team," Natasha said as they arrived at her floor, "once you're done with your shower head to my room and we can start getting ready." The elevator closed and Evelyn waited patiently for one more floor and stepped out yawning.

"You can't be tired already", a voice said from the couch laughing. Evelyn turned and saw Bucky sitting on the couch reading.

"I could go to bed and sleep for a day and not have to worry about needing the sedative Bruce has been giving me," Evelyn said leaning against the wall looking down at Bucky.

"Then you would miss the party and what if someone was harassing me and you were up here asleep?" Bucky asked laughing

"I think you would love to be harassed by beautiful women," Evelyn said rolling her eyes

"Just one," Bucky says, still looking at her and noticed she was staring at him intently, "What?"

"You have really beautiful eyes," Evelyn said and then realized she said it out loud, "well with that embarrassing outburst - it's time to get the show on the road."

Evelyn then turned on her heel leaving Bucky sitting on the couch grinning widely.