Chapter 34

The next morning Evelyn was organizing the boxes on the island and smiled at all the work she accomplished.

"Morning Evelyn," Steve said walking into the kitchen.

"Morning Steve!" Evelyn said, smiling at him.

"Is Sam coming to help you with these boxes?" Steve asked, grabbing a cup of coffee.

"I don't think so. I told him I would meet him at the VA and he said he'd send a Uber to pick me up - whatever that is," Evelyn laughed.

"I have to go into the city today anyway - how about I drive you?" Steve asked, smiling at the relief on her face.

"That would be amazing! But only as long as it is on the way to where you're off to," Evelyn said, putting her hands on her hips.

"It's on the way, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't be an inconvenience to help out," Steve said, grabbing some of the boxes.

They both got on the elevator loaded up with the goodies and headed to the parking garage. Steve looked over at Evelyn and noticed she seemed tense.

"You okay Evelyn? You didn't party too hard with Nat and Wanda did you?" Steve teased

Evelyn laughed and looked at him, "No, we had a mellow night out. We ate dinner and then did some shopping. I was probably up a little later than I should've been with them though. I think I'm just tired."

"Bucky said he finally manned up and asked you out," Steve said as they arrived in the parking garage.

A blush took over Evelyn's face as she stepped off the elevator, "Yeah."

Steve led them to a truck and opened the back door and started to put the boxes and bags in the back. "Are you excited?"

Evelyn bit her lip and nodded. "Very - but I'm pretty nervous."

"What's there to be nervous about?" Steve asked closing the door to look at Evelyn.

"I - uh - well," Evelyn said looking at her hands

"I'm sorry if I overstepped. I just care about both of you." Steve said, opening Evelyn's door for her.

Evelyn was taken aback by Steve saying he cared for her. She sat silent when Steve walked around the truck and got into his seat.

"You didn't overstep Steve," Evelyn started as Steve turned on the engine, "it's just hard to explain."

Steve nodded his head and put the truck into reverse. As they pulled out of the parking garage into the street Evelyn sighed.

"I'm scared he will realize I'm not worth it," Evelyn said, staring out the passenger window.

"Worth it? Evelyn what do you mean?" Steve asked, furrowing his brows. He didn't expect the nerves to be because of her - he had expected her to be nervous about Bucky's past.

"I remember the news stories when you rescued him. He's been through so much. He deserves easy - with me he's going to have to keep dealing with all of this," Evelyn said leaning her head on the headrest and turned towards Steve. "But I feel something with him and I'm selfish to not want to let him go."

"You guys are made for eachother," Steve said, smiling at her. "You're both worried about how your pasts will affect the other person. You both don't see what the team has seen."

Evelyn blushed at his words. Her nerves calmed slightly knowing Bucky wasn't concerned about her baggage. "And what has the team seen?"

"The glow each of you have around each other, how you have brought part of the old Bucky back, and how effortlessly you are together," Steve said, listing the items easily.