chapter four

'you had me at 'hello' then you opened up your mouth'

dove didn't want to talk to lucy about why she'd been crying.

instead, lucy resorted to trying to cheer her up as much as she could, while dove was packing a bag to take to her dad's house.

"should we design some hearts and stars for tomorrow?" lucy suggested.

"okay." dove said, with a small smile, though she was still crying.

she got out pens and paper, also offering coloured eyeliners for testing designs on skin.

dove ended up with a design of hearts and stars in the shape of the venus symbol.

dove couldn't stop thinking about what mitchell said. she wasn't using him. he was using her. she wasn't a whore. was she?

"lucy." she said.

"yeah." lucy replied.

"i need you to be honest with me, can you do that?" dove asked.

"of course." lucy replied.

"what do you think of when you see me, truthfully?" dove questioned.

"i think of my first friend here and she's really kind and a good person. and you're different, but in a very good way. you're not an asshole like most of the school." lucy answered.

"is this about that list?" lucy asked. dove sighed, it sort of was. "so what, some teenage dickheads said you have the hottest body. their opinions don't matter. obviously they happen to be correct, you are very hot, but it doesn't matter what they think. it matters what you think."

"i don't get it." dove frowned.

"if you think your hot as fuck then you are and nobody can tell you otherwise. and it doesn't matter if your the 'best kisser' because none of them will experience an actual kiss from you. you're too good for them." lucy explained.

"thanks." dove smiled. "i never finished reading the list, but whatever the said about you isn't true. you're really cool. and you're brave. nobody ever stood up to mitchell before you did."

"thank you." lucy smiled.

then, there was a knock on the door.

"come in." dove said.

"i've made dinner, would you like some lucy?" melissa asked.

"yes, please." lucy replied.

they got up to leave and dove hugged her mom.

"so lucy, tell me something about yourself." dove's mom said.

"i don't really know what to say." lucy replied.

"umm, how did you girls meet?" melissa asked.

"we have english class together." lucy answered.

"she stood up to mitchell wilson, it was incredible." dove told her.

"oh that little fuck, anyway, what's been going on so far at school? any gossip?" her mom asked.