chapter seven

'i think you could use a mint'

on monday, they held a moxie meeting in the changing rooms.

dove was anxious the entire time, knowing that the door had no lock and that anybody (meaning mitchell) could walk in.

"kiera, you're a much better athlete than mitchell. you win games, he doesn't." lucy said, confidently. "and yet, you're the underdog, why?"

"because she's a junior." amaya yelled.

"okay." lucy replied.

"because she's black." amaya yelled.

"yes. not was i was gonna say, but yes." lucy smiled. "also because we've been told in big ways and in small ways for our whole lives that the achievements of men are more important than those of women. well, forget that."

"forget that!" amaya cheered.

"yes, and when you win this thing, and you will win it." lucy smiled.

"she's like serena williams!" amaya hyped her up.

"it's gonna prove that we're done with that shit. that show is cancelled." lucy smiled. "it's much bigger than kiera, it's for girls everywhere." she added, as vivian and dove spotted emma behind the lockers.

"hey, emma." vivian said, kindly.

"are you okay em?" dove asked her.

"hey. do you want to join us?" lucy asked her.

"umm.. no, no. i just came to grab this." she replied, with a smile, picking something up.

"emma wait!" dove yelled, as she started to walk away.

"yeah?" emma asked.

"i just wanted to warn you that i'm dropping out of cheer after christmas. i can't keep supporting those assholes and i wanna try out for the track team." dove said, nervously.

"oh, okay. thanks for letting me know." emma smiled.

vivian hugged her from the side and the girls smiled.

"anyways, so we have to get moxie to endorse the campaign." lucy explained.

"i have an idea. why don't you text yourself?" amaya joked, making the others laugh.

"it's not me, okay. i would tell you." lucy argued.

"okay, well, if it was me, you all would know. there would be a giant parade." cj laughed.

"vivian, put this in the minutes. if we stick together, things are gonna change." lucy smiled and everybody cheered. "can't stop, won't stop. next stop, kiera pascal gets the scholarship."

"let's win this thing." kiera sighed.

they all cheered and clapped for her.