Chapter 8: 107th Rescue

Long chapter up ahead!

 [(Italy- November 1943-44)]

Racing inside we came across Colonel Phillips, who seemed to be reading something.

"Colonel Phillips" Steve stated.

Phillips looked up and a annoyed expression appeared on his face

"Well, if it isn't the Star- Spangled Man With A Plan"
"What's your plan today?"

"I need the casualty list from Azzano" Steve said desperately.

"You don't get to give me orders, son" Phillips answered.

I was having enough of him not allowing us to see if Bucky was alright.

"We just need one name, Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th" I uttered.

He looked to me, with a deflated look but then turned his head to Peggy.

"You and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy" Peggy didn't look worried.

"Please tell me if he's alive, sir. B-A-R—-" Steve was cutoff.

" I can spell" Phillips grunted, moving around the desk he was sat at.

" I have signed more of these condolence letters today then I would care to count"
"But the name does sound familiar"
"I'm sorry" Phillips gave a straight, barely smile.

Looking at Steve, you'd think he'd give up but nobody knew Steve the way Bucky and I do.

"what about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" I questioned.

"yes, it's called "winning the war" Agent Adley" Phillips answered, giving a look.

"but if you know where they are, why not at least——"

"they're 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified Territory in Europe"
"we'd lose more men then we'd save"
"But I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl" Phillips exclaimed, trying to probably state that he was right. Which he wasn't.

"I think I understand just fine" Steve blurted out, with anger laced in his voice.

"well, then I understand it somewhere else.
"if I read the posters correctly, you've got some place to be in 30 minutes" Phillips