Chapter 10

I stare up at Momo and the other animals stuck in the cages. "Hang on, Momo!" Aang jump from tree to tree until he gets to  the branch holding Momo's cage. He lowers Momo down to us and we help him out of the cage. I shake my head on pick him up, cradling him to my chest.

   "You stupid lemur," I murmur affectionately. He girls around my neck and nibbles on a berry. I chuckle and scratch his head lightly. Aang lands next to me and the other animals cry, groan and moan from above us.

   "All right, you too," Aang says and he jumps back up.

   "This is gonna take forever," Sokka says, pulling out his boomerang. He throws it and it easily cuts the ropes holding the cages. They come crashing down and the poor creatures run away. Sokka kneels to examine the cages. "These are Fire Nation traps. You can tell from the metalwork. We'd better pack up camp and get moving." I roll my eyes. Of course. Can't go anywhere without finding their mark.

"Uh-uh! No flying this time." I stare at Sokka in shock. What?

   "What? Why wouldn't we fly?" Aang asks. Sokka takes the pack that Katara had just handed to Aang. 

  "Think about it. Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa and Olla. They're just too noticeable." My lips purse. I want to argue, but what he's saying makes sense.

   "What? They're not too noticeable!" Katara protests. 

   "They kind of are, Katara," I say hesitantly.

   "How are they too noticeable?" she demands.

   "They're gigantic, fluffy monsters with arrows on their heads. They're kind of hard to miss," Sokka points out. Appa growls dramatically.

   "Sokka's just jealous because he doesn't have an arrow," Aang says to sooth him. I roll my eyes.

   "I know you want to fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk," Sokka says.

   "Who made you the boss?" Katara asks. 

   "I'm not the boss, I'm the leader." I raise my eyebrows at Sokka. 

   "You're the leader? But your voice still cracks," Katara says amused.

   "He's the oldest one here, Katara. Therefore your statement is invalid," I say. "But no one is 'the leader', Sokka. We're a team. We make decisions together. That being said, I agree with Sokka. At the very least, we can walk for a few hours." I grab my bag and throw it over my shoulder.

"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader? I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl." I roll my eyes. This is childish and we need to get a move on.

   "I've kissed a girl!" Sokka insists. "You just haven't met her." 

   "Who? Gran-gran? I've met gran-gran," Katara taunts. 

   Sokka throws his arms up in the air. "No, besides gran-gran. Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts. Even Ling agrees with me."

   "Okay, we'll try it your way, O wise leader. And Ling also said that you aren't the leader. You can't pick and choose when you listen to her."

   "Who knows?" Aang says, stepping up next to Katara. "Walking might be fun."

"Walking stinks!" Aang declares after a few hours. "How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?" I snort. 

   "I don't know, Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts?" Katara suggests. "They seem to know everything."