Part 44

The conversation during the car ride back into the city went well – skipping from jokes to random observations to playful teasing – right up until hitting traffic a few blocks out from your destination. "I particularly enjoyed the stories shared over dinner." As was sibling duty, Tom's sisters had tried all day to embarrass him with memories from when they were younger. Some stories you'd already heard or read about, some were entirely new.

Tom takes advantage of the stalled evening traffic to reach over and squeeze your knee, "I took it as my solemn duty to be every bit the brother they deserved. Though I would have preferred the bathtub incident remain untold..."

Emma had assured you there were pictures to back up the story but Tom had redirected the conversation to other memories. Maybe you'd see the photographic evidence next time.

His mother had tried again to get the pair of you to stay another night, logic being that until you got in the car and left her cause couldn't be abandoned. If she had enlisted the help of her grandson you and Tom might have stayed – after nearly two full days of exposure you have no idea how anyone ever said no to that adorable face.

You smile at Tom and turn in your seat to face him a little more. "We all have stories from our childhood we wish our family would never tell. But then how would they show how much they love us in front of company if they keep the moments to themselves?"

"Hugs and affection?"

You roll your eyes at him. "Not nearly as entertaining."

"For you darling, but..."

"Oh you were laughing too." And he had been. That full bodied, nearly-falling-over laugh that you adore so much. "I'm sure my family will have all too many stories to tell as well – if we can work something out with our schedules. Not a holiday though." You shake your head emphatically, "We'll save that level of crazy family behavior for the distant future."

Tom chuckles and says, "Not too distant I hope. In fact, get them to pick a day and we'll make it work."

That throws you a bit. "What? I thought you were staying here for a week or two? And after that – where is your next project slated to film?"

"L.A."

You purse your lips at him, "Tom. Where is it really?"

"Los Angeles, California. And oh – by coincidence that happens to be where you'll be." He lets out a short whistle, "How about that."

You're fully turned in your seat so that you're fully facing him. The pair of you had talked about him visiting you in LA after his short stay in London, but he hadn't mentioned that he'd picked his next project specifically to be near you. The original plan regarding living locations had been scrapped when he'd signed on to the project he'd just completed. 

On the one hand, you'd get to see more of Tom! On the other? You were potentially hampering his career, and you couldn't live with yourself if that was the case. He catches the look you're giving him when he checks to make sure he can make the turn without merging into anyone.

 "Alright, it's a bit outside LA but it will be close enough to suit."

"Tom."

"_______."

You wave your hand at him, "I'm not complaining –"

He's concentrating on parking at the moment but you know as soon as he's done you'll get a dubious look. He huffs out a laugh. "Are you sure about that, darling?"

"I – don't be smart with me, Hiddleston."

Tom puts the car into park and removes the key from the ignition. Finally. Both of you can concentrate on the conversation without distractions. He grins at you, "Addressing me using my surname. You must mean business."

He's up and out of the car before you can continue. "Tom..." When you start again he tilts his head towards the sidewalk. You're back in the city which means the pair of you are undoubtedly being watched.

 You wait until he's close by your side to continue while the pair of you walk towards the building. "If your next project really is one that keeps you near me then I'm all for it. I'll never be against seeing more of you."

This nets you a mischievous grin and you roll your eyes. Hold that thought till later, Hiddleston. "But I don't want you to choose projects purely based on proximity. Just because a few months ago I was acting like a jealous..." In your pause Tom starts to suggest something and you elbow him to keep him quiet, "No. I don't think I want to hear any of the colorful adjectives your mind can conjure."

"Ow..." He chuckles and rubs his hand over his side a moment before holding out his hand for you to take, if you care to. You hesitate a second before entwining your fingers with his. "Tell me, _______. How is my accepting a project in the same state any different than what we've been doing lately? For that matter, how is it any different than you rearranging your schedule to visit me – both in the tropics and here?"

"Just scheduling a visit is different than influencing choices regarding your career."

Both of Tom's eyebrows raise and he stops walking, pulling you up short in the hallway before his door. He laughs out his response. "Just scheduling a visit? Your argument is that it's ok when you do it but not ok for me to do the same."

You shake your head, "Oh come on Tom – you're the one with name recognition, the established career. I'm just that Touring Sundays actor that ..." The look he's giving you while digging his keys out of his pocket with his free hand makes you trail the sentence off.

"You're just the extremely sought after actor that won an award from her portrayal in her first feature and – " He has freed the keys from his pocket but doesn't move to open the door. Instead he shakes his head and turns around, pulling you back down the hallway.

You trail along behind him. "Um – Tom? Where are we going?"

"Back to the car."

"Why?"

He laughs and shrugs his shoulders, "I'm taking you back to my mother's house. We weren't arguing about something nonsensical there when we were there."

You dig in your heels after a few additional paces. "The fact that I care about your career isn't nonsensical." You protest. "And I'm not trying to tell you not to care about mine - not that this is an argument - but that's not the point..." He still has you hand firmly grasped within his so you give his fingers a squeeze. "I just want to make sure you keep booking jobs based on your desire to work on the project, not based on--"

He finishes your sentence, stepping back to wrap you in his arms, "Proximity to you. Noted. Now can we go inside where I can repay my debt for using you as a human shield against my nephew? Or do I need to call my mother and let her know that we'll be squeezing back onto the sofa for the last night of your trip?"