Part 17

Tom is grinning at you triumphantly from the other side of the expansive backseat of the car. The powers-that-be had said yes to his request that you spend the rest of the day on set. Of course they had said yes to him. Tom's breaks were also restricted to the location now to prevent any further incidents but he was choosing to overlook that detail to focus on the fact that he would have you in close proximity for the rest of the day. Now you just had to figure out what to do with yourself so you would be out of the way while everyone around you was working.

Traffic and one way streets are making the ride back to the location a bit longer than you would have guessed since Tom had been able to walk the distance. While munching on the contents of one of the numerous takeaway boxes Tom is pointing out the route he took to both you and the security team. "It bottlenecks just there – and that's where I got tangled up."

You reach into the open takeaway box in his lap and pluck out another something to eat. You wave the food at him while you playfully scold him, "You should have just circled back at that point." Two grunts of approval from the front seat support your statement. You catch the eye and smile at the guard that isn't driving when he looks in the rearview mirror. Other than the brief instructions they gave you in the restaurant they've been quiet. Tom takes advantage of your distraction to ensnare your hand and bring the food in your fingertips to his mouth. "Hey!"

He doesn't release your hand while he chews. "I was already running late." He pauses to draw your fingers back to his mouth to suck away some of the sauce that had remained on your fingertips. "There was only one direction my feet would agree to."

You want to continue arguing your point but your words appear to be caught in your throat. It's the eye contact while his mouth removes the sauce from your fingertips that has done it. The noise you make is half delight, half squeak.

Damn it Tom, there are other people in the car. He winks at you while releasing your hand. Smug, adorable, tease of a man – he is using any means necessary to keep from admitting that you are right. Before he can catch your hand again you scoop up another piece of food and pop it into your mouth which incidentally gives you time to loosen your voice once more. There are untouched boxes in the bag that sit in the floorboard between you and Tom. "If these are what she considers a quickly packed sampler I can't wait to see the full menu."

He nods while his eyes search your face. "I hoped you would like the food. Though by making reservations for dinner tomorrow we may have limited our sightseeing plans."

"I thought we'd figured this out already." Tom's look of confusion makes you giggle. "Another trip?" The car is slowing to pull into the parking lot, trying to gently push past the gathered crowd waiting on the street beyond. Days on the set of Touring Sundays were nothing like this. "Oh wow – there are so many people. I'm surprised you even made it out through this."

Now Tom has turned to look at the numerous fans as well. "I um, I didn't use this entrance."

You hear the driver mutter something under his breath and the other guard nods before turning in his seat to address the both of you. "Most of them have been here since Tom got here this morning. Ok. Just so we're all on the same page..." He stops because the both of you haven't turned back to look at him. He lets out a sigh, "You want to greet them don't you."

Tom is still looking at the crowd. "They've been out there a long time."

"Tom do I need to remind you - ______, help me out here."

You are watching Tom look out at the gathering. His internal struggle is evident. After being chased a number of blocks he is wary but still hating the idea that he is disappointing his fans. When Tom turns to look at you you give him a small nod of understanding before turning to reply to the guard. "Yes, we want to greet them."