Part 69

"You disgusting piece of....." Tom charges across the lawn towards your step-brother, who adopts a look of self-satisfaction at the rage his comment has elicited and sidesteps to set Katie's clothes down atop the hood of his car so he can have his hands free. The asshole is looking for a fight – and he's not one to be satisfied with words for long.

But Tom – Tom won't fall for it. Surely. Anyway, weren't the pair of you just arguing? Hasn't he made it clear he's done with you? What's he doing charging your ass of a step-brother?

Your startled yelp turns into a plea, for all the good it does. Tom is already across the lawn. Damn that man's long legs. "Tom! No!"

"The fuck is wrong with you?! He nearly killed her! Your sister!"

Joel sneers, jerking his chin in your direction as he replies to Tom. "Not by blood. And he missed. So clearly that money was wast—"

You're only halfway to where they are facing off when the comment seems to visibly hit Tom, spinning his torso towards you so that for a moment he's almost facing you. Then he clenches his fist and lifts his arm.

You see what's coming – even if Joel doesn't. He doesn't expect it of Tom, an actor. Frankly, if you and Tom hadn't been at each other's throats all morning the comment might have only netted words in return.... Tom is already beyond the point of being able to contain his temper.

What's left is to watch, with a mingled sense of horror and pride, as Tom swings his fist – the impact of his knuckles to Joel's jaw sending your step-brother reeling.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

-

Mid-morning Thanksgiving morning. Even the late risers are awake, though their lazy holiday morning has been interrupted. Your stepfather's sweet tooth is clear from the half-consumed piece of pumpkin pie. Also clear, from his current mood, is that he'd much rather be enjoying his piece of pie in peace.

You'd enjoy that scenario, too. Of those currently in the kitchen, only your Aunt Abby seems halfway put together. She's currently occupied with her favorite of the bunch – Beau – leaving you to try to find some way to keep from falling apart at the seams.

Why is it that the entire time Aunt Abby is tending to Tom you can feel his attention firmly on you but every time you look...

"A brawl on my front lawn." Your stepfather stands midway between Joel and Tom, as though they'll resume their argument at any moment. You might not put it past Joel, who is glaring openly at Tom from behind the package of peas he has pressed against the left side of his face.

So much had been said – seething words and shouted accusations passing between the two men as the wrestled on the ground. Some things you hadn't caught, some things you wish you'd missed. Tom had landed a perfect punch but was quickly toppled by Joel. Reggie appeared, popping up from behind you, about the same time your stepfather came running out the front door. It had taken the both of them to pull Tom and Joel apart.

Katie, still in her pyjamas, peeks into the kitchen from the other room where she had been herded by your mother when the men had finally been dragged inside, "It. Was. Awesome!"

"Katie." Your stepfather shakes his head sharply at her, though his tone lightens as he turns his attention to her for the duration of his admonishment. "We do not encourage fighting in this household."

Tom lowers his own bag of frozen veggies, making you wince both for his appearance and the anger in his words. His lower lip is already swelling despite the application of first aid. At least the bleeding has stopped. "No, just the emotional abuse of your daughter."