8

True to her word, Maven had breakfast sent up bright and early. You only woke up when you heard whoever had brought the breakfast in close the door, and it was another moment before you actually got out of bed, hauling yourself out from under the duvet and towards the fresh picked fruit and still warm bread. 

You ate with Simon - he'd knocked on the door between your rooms, following the scent of fresh baked bread. You talked about the castle and how your sleep had been, but in the back of your mind, you could feel the nerves building in your stomach. In an hour, you would be standing before a king you barely knew, giving a royal address. 

You were a bit nervous, and rightly so. 

Still, it would come whether you wanted it to or not. It was as you were finishing breakfast that Maven came to collect you - all polite smiles and idle chat as she led you back down to the throne room you had seen last night. It was much brighter now in the daylight, what with the sun shining down through the stained glass skylight. As before, Eret lounged in his throne like an armchair, but perked up when Maven entered the room with you and Simon in tow. You had been expecting a court to be gathered, but it was just Eret in the room.

"Good morning!" He said, standing up as you entered the room. "How were the rooms? Did you both sleep alright?"

You shared a glance with Simon before responding. "They were wonderful, thank you." 

"I'm glad." Eret said, and he seemed genuine about it. "Please, take a seat, make yourselves comfortable." He gestured to the ornate cushioned chairs that had been placed a little ways away from his throne.

You did, sliding into one of the chairs - leaving Simon the other. You expected Maven to sit down as well, but she simply made for the door, saying simply, "I'll be in my office if you need me.". With that, she slipped back out into the rest of the castle, leaving you and Simon alone with Eret in the throne room.

You smoothed a hand over your clothes, shooing any wrinkles. "When will the rest of the court be arriving?" You asked. 

"Oh no." Eret said, waving a hand. "I never hold a full court session for the first meeting with representatives from other kingdoms. I always found it too overwhelming when I represented my father in places I didn't know, and I just want my guests to be comfortable, so full court sessions are usually after the welcome banquet."

"Oh." You said, eyebrows raising slightly. "That's... incredibly thoughtful." You had never heard of something like that before, but you couldn't say you hated the idea. The thought of sitting in front of a full court in an unfamiliar place only a day after you arrived (no time to get acquainted) wasn't a pleasant one. A private audience would be much preferred every time. 

Eret smiled. "I do my best." He said, resting his hands in his lap as he leaned forward slightly. "You brought your royal address with you I'm sure?"

"Of course." You said, reaching into your pocket and pulling out the scroll you had brought with you. Eret leaned back in his seat as you broke the wax seal, letting the scroll unroll in your lap. It didn't look too long, which was nice, and by the looping handwriting you could tell that Tarquin had been the scribe while Etienne had been speaking. Clearing your throat, you began to read the address in your court voice. 

"From his Highness King Etienne to King Eret, son of Herobrine." You began. "I would like to begin this letter with a word of congratulations - from what your father had told me about you I'm sure you will turn into a great king. Your father and I were quite close in our youth, and that friendship was one of my most treasured. It led to one of the most important alliances in our kingdoms to date, and I hope that that flame hasn't died with you. As I'm sure you know, we have recently been struggling with an insurrection from the pillaging tribes that roam our lands, and it does not seem that the tide will change in our favor anytime soon. I ask for you support as a friend of your father's and hopefully a friend of yours some day." 

When you finished, you rolled the scroll back up, your eyes flicking up to Eret. He looked thoughtful, idly running a hand through his curls, eyebrows furrowed slightly so that they were half hidden behind the rims of his mirrored glasses. It was another moment before he hummed. 

"May I just say you have a lovely reading voice." Eret noted, leaning back in his throne slightly. 

"Thank you." You said. The compliment was nice, but you were more interested in Eret's initial reaction to the king's request.

"I hope you don't mind if I don't give you an answer right away." Eret said. "I'd like to have a full court meeting to go over what intelligence we have on the war before I make any decisions about whether or not to get involved, and this is the first time I've been asked to lend support since taking the throne, so it's all a bit new for me."

Again, you were taken aback by how thoughtful and thorough Eret was being. "Of course, these are big decisions." You said. He had only taken the throne from his father recently, but you could already see a wisdom beyond his years just in the few interactions you'd had with him. 

"I won't make you sit around any longer then." Eret said with a smile. "You're welcome to whatever you like in the palace, and I do hope you enjoy the welcoming banquet tonight."

You rose from your chair at his dismissal, nodding formally. "Thank you again." You said, heading to the door, with Simon a half step behind you. 

What an odd fellow.