14

You walked with Eret until you had seen almost every inch of the garden, talking about everything and nothing as you went. He told you about the cherry trees and all the other exotic flowers his mother had collected from the edges of the kingdom and beyond, and how he had hired the best gardeners he could find to make sure her vision lived on. You compared childhood memories and laughed when you caught a squirrel falling out of a tree, and by the end of it, Eret was back to his usual self and the sun was just beginning to dip in the sky. 

You'd called it a night there, bidding Eret goodnight and returning to your suite (stopping for dinner of course, all that walking through the gardens had built up quite and appetite) to wash off all the dirt from the path that had gathered on the back of your legs and change into something more comfortable for bed. Even when all the dirt was gone, the scent of the cherry blossoms still lingered on your skin.

There was no court session tomorrow, so you got a nice long night's rest, and when you woke, breakfast was waiting for you with a note from Simon - he was down at the training grounds again, but promised to meet up with you for lunch. You had the morning to yourself then, it looked like. 

Not bothering to change from your nightclothes, you took the plate of breakfast (apples slices arranged in an elaborate design around a pastry shaped like the sun) and headed out to the balcony that you and Simon shared between suites. The sun was bright and cheerful, and you set down the plate on the wide railing, picking at the apple slices as you overlooked a section of the gardens you had walked yesterday. 

For your first venture outside of the kingdom, you couldn't say you were disappointed, even though it was technically a political trip. There was just something wondrous about this place - maybe it was the abundance of color, or the way people treated each other - but there was just something in the air that made this place seem untouchable.

Maybe it was Eret himself. You wouldn't be surprised if he had crafted this whole palace to be the most comfortable place on earth - he put so much thought into how the people around him felt that it amazed you. From the private audience on the first day to the way he'd neglected his other social obligations at the welcome banquet just to spend time with you, down to the glasses he wore to cover his eyes. 

He was really something. 

A knock on the door to your suite broke your concentration, and you turned, leaving your breakfast outside as you stepped back into the suite, going over to open the door. You were expecting Simon, but instead it was Eret, a bright smile on his face. 

"Oh, hello." You said. 

"Good morning." Eret chirped. "I hope I didn't disturb you, but I wanted to drop in before I get sucked into my work for today."

"And to what do I owe the pleasure?" You asked, leaning against the doorframe. 

"I didn't get to properly thank you at the end of our walk last night." He said. "It really did help to get out of my head for a while, and you make great company." He smiled when he said it, and sounded so genuine that you couldn't help the rush of affection that filled you at his words. 

"You're welcome anytime, Eret." You said. "I rather enjoy your company as well." 

His smile widened at that and he rocked on the balls of his feet a little. "I'm glad you think so." 

You just smiled, taking in the colorful outfit he had picked for the day (a white shirt with shiny buttons paired with black pants and a long sheer shawl that shimmered in the morning light). It was less colorful than some of the other outfits you had seen, but you rather liked this one. It was very flattering on him. Still, you couldn't just admire him all day. "You said you had work?"

Eret blinked as if he had forgotten. "Right." He said, a little sheepish. "I should be going, but perhaps I'll see you later sometime?"

"Of course." You said, watching as Eret turned to start down the hall, sheer shawl billowing after him as he walked. He tossed one last smile over his shoulder and you returned the favor as you shut the door, wandering back to your breakfast on the balcony. 

Maybe you should add some more color to your wardrobe back home. It certainly couldn't hurt, and it all looked so good on Eret... perhaps you could pull it off as well. 

You popped an apple slice in your mouth, replaying the way he had blinked when you had reminded him of his kingly duties. It was one of those moments that reminded you that he was only your age - perhaps even a little younger - and one of those moments that made you smile too. He was awfully cute for the son of one of the most formidable men of all time. 

You blinked at the thought as it passed through your head. Sure, you had seen that Eret was attractive when you had first met him, but you hadn't really paid it any mind - being here on business and what. Now though, after you knew him more and had seen that colorful personality and big smile...

Simon hadn't been too far off calling him the heart stealer. You would have to be careful not to let this interfere with any of the negotiations - you wouldn't forgive yourself if you let personal feelings get in the way of work. 

You turned your attention back to the section of gardens underneath you, watching the cherry blossoms fall from the wind. 

Perhaps he would steal your heart after all.