27

When you opened your eyes, you were in the throne room again.

Nothing had changed in this room since your original meeting with the king about your going to visit Eret and earn his support. The court seats were still stationed around the room, and the king sat in his throne on the dias, Deirdre standing next to him. Tarquin dropped your hand with a respectful nod before going to take his place on the king's other side, flanking him like matching statues with his sister. 

The only difference in the room now, was that Eret was also here, standing a few paces away. He hadn't put the glasses back on, and you could see him looking you over out of the corner of your eye, making sure Simon had kept his word and taken you straight to the infirmary. When he caught sight of the bandages on you, he visibly relaxed, his gaze drifting back to the king. 

"Ah, Y/N." The king said, breaking off from whatever conversation he and Eret had been in before you had arrived in the room. "How kind of you to join us."

"My apologies for not reporting straight away, your Highness." You said. "We had to make a stop at the infirmary since we came through the battle."

King Etienne's mouth twisted into something of a frown at the mention of the fight that had been going on outside. "I do apologize for that." He said. "We were doing our best to get rid of them before you would arrive, but alas it seems we simply weren't able. It's a good thing you arrived when you did, King Eret."

Eret nodded respectfully. "I'm happy I could be of some help to you." He said. "From what Y/N explained, you've been struggling with this war for some months now."

King Etienne sighed, running a hand through his thinning hair. "It's a vicious cycle." He said. "The more we push against their kind, the more they push back - ransacking and burning and now even attempting to strike right at our castle. I was afraid that it would become dire, but now that you and your army are here we have some new hope." 

King Etienne shifted in his throne, running his fingers along the edge of the stone. "It's a shame I couldn't be down there fighting myself - I would have liked to at least kill a few of those creatures myself, but I'm not as young as I used to be." His eyes skimmed over Eret. "Your father and I fought many a war together in our youth."

"So I've heard." Eret said. 

The king hummed, eyes glazing over in nostalgia somewhat. "Those were the days... when the world was still new and unknown, and we were young enough to fight and build lives for ourselves."

A shiver ran up your spine, and your eyes drifted over to Eret to find him already looking at you, obviously disinterested in anything the king had to say. You held his gaze (even though looking into his eyes made the hair on the back of your neck stand up) finding something that you hadn't seen before in his eyes. You couldn't quite put a finger on it, because the king was calling your attention back to the front of the room again, and breaking the moment. 

"But there will be more time for that, I'm sure." He was saying, looking down at Eret again. "I'm sure you're a bit drained from all the fighting, and I do still need to speak with Simon here about earning his captaincy back again."

Next to you, Simon snapped to attention, fighting a smile. You were fighting down a grin of your own - from that, the king had made it sound like Simon would be getting his ship back, or at least a spot on another one. 

Eret nodded respectfully. "I'll take me leave then, your Highness?"

Etienne waved him off with a hand, dismissing him from the room. You watched him go until he was behind you and you could hear the heavy door of the throne room swing shut again. Whatever that look had been, you weren't too worried about it. You would find Eret later at some point, and there were other things to be dealt with at the moment. 

The king's gaze turned to you. "Y/N and Simon." He said. "A job very well done, I must say. With King Eret's military support, we were able to fend off the invaders today, and hopefully dissuade them from coming back again."

"Thank you, your Highness." You said. 

The king hummed, eyes skipping over the bandages on your skin. "I'm sure you're tired from the journey over, so I won't keep you anymore - just know that I'm very pleased, Y/N."

"Goodnight, your majesty." You nodded once again, glancing at Simon one last time before you turned on your heel and made for the door, leaving him behind you. You could almost feel the waves of anticipation radiating off of him. Hopefully he would get his captaincy back. After bringing you to and from Eret's kingdom safely and proving to be great company (and an even greater friend) he deserved it.

You slipped out of the throne room, letting the large oak doors swing shut behind you and turning to head to your quarters. You were looking forward to spending a night in your own bed - especially after what the day had held. 

What you weren't expecting was to see Eret leaning against one of the walls when you turned the corner, absently looking out one of the long windows and onto the still smoldering battlefield. His eyes flicked over to you when you came around the corner, and a small smile played on his lips. 

"Hello Eret." You said, smiling as well. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked, pushing off the wall and coming to stand in front of you. 

"Better now." You said. "Simon fixed me up in the infirmary."

"Good." Eret said, looking relieved. "Would you care to join me for a walk then?"