21

It wasn't that long before the battalion had been assembled and it was time to get on the road. You and Simon had packed up your horses the previous night, and were leading them from the stables now to join the rest of the battalion and Eret at the west gates of the castle. It seemed like the whole palace had come to say goodbye, even the staff. 

As you approached, you spotted Eret and Maven in the center of the commotion exchanging a few words - most likely one last goodbye before Eret left. You watched Maven say something and Eret laugh, knocking her on the shoulder playfully. You glanced to Simon to see him also watching the interaction, his eyes glued to Maven. 

"We should go over and say goodbye." You said, glancing to Simon. 

He sighed slightly. "I suppose we should." 

He started over, one hand still gripping onto the reins of his horse so that it wouldn't wander off while you were waiting to get on the road. You did the same, following only a half step behind him. As you got closer, you saw Eret's head turn slightly and a smile cross his face when he noticed you.

"Good morning." He greeted. "Bright and beautiful day to get on the road, yeah?"

"It is a beautiful day." You agreed, tipping your head back slightly to look up at the cloudless blue sky. The only disturbance was the occasional cherry blossom carried by the wind. 

You were going to miss this place. 

Your concentration was drawn back to the conversation in front of you when Maven spoke. "I think you'd best be going before it gets too late in the morning." She said. "You'll want to make it as far as you can before nightfall."

"All too right Mave." Eret said. "Try not to burn the palace down while I'm gone, alright?"

A small smile played at the corner of Maven's mouth. "I make no promises."

You huffed out a laugh at that, going to mount your horse. You were about to set one foot in the stirrups when you felt two large hands around your waist, simply lifting you up and setting you down in the saddle. You didn't even have to look to know who it was. 

"Thank you Eret, but I'm sure I could have managed it myself." You said, turning to look at him. 

The king just smiled, going to mount his own horse in one graceful stride. Behind you, Simon had done the same. Maven was the only one still standing now, looking up at Simon with those striking grey eyes. Reaching behind her ear, she pulled a pure white flower from her hair, holding it up to him. 

Simon took the flower gingerly, like he was afraid to break it. His eyes were wide when he looked back down to Maven. 

"A token to remember me by." She explained. "Do come back and visit after the war is over Simon, I'll much miss your company."

Simon tucked the flower into one of the pockets on his chest so that the petals were just visible over the fabric. "Of course." He said. "As soon as I get the chance."

Maven smiled one last time before her attention turned to you. "You as well, Y/N." She said. "I'm sure our king would be more than pleased to see you return someday."

Your eyes flicked to Eret, who was still idle on his horse beside you. "I plan to." You said. "There's much I'm going to miss about this castle."

Eret just smiled, looking down at Maven. "Farewell Mave." He said, easing his horse into a walk as he started forward. "Await my return eagerly."

Maven just smiled, raising one hand in a simple wave.

You nudged your horse after Eret's, sticking by his side with Simon only a little behind you. You passed through the gathered military, Eret waving to the men and women as he passed, until you were at the head of the troupe, the gate wide open in front of you. The path stretched out from the castle, leading into the thick forest that surrounded the walls. You hadn't even truly left yet, and you were already missing the colorful windows and the cherry blossoms. 

Home would seem so drab after experiencing this place. 

Noticing that Eret had taken to the front of the pack, the military began to fall in behind him, organizing into their sections. There were foot soldiers, archers, cavalry and even some heavy artillery in the very back. All of the soldiers bore shields painted with pure white eyes - a symbol both of Eret and his father before him.

Hopefully, it would be enough to turn the tide of the war in Etienne's favor. 

Once the military was fully situated behind him, Eret started forward, leading the entire group into a steady march. You nudged your horse into something of a walk a half step behind him, with Simon right beside you. The crowds that were still gathered in the castle courtyard to see you off cheered as you began to move, shouting words of encouragement and luck. 

Before long, the shade of the oak trees in the forest blocked out the blue sky, and the only sound was that of the steady footsteps of the horses and the men. If you turned around, you could still see the castle walls, but all the wonders behind them were obscured again. It was only because you had already been inside that you knew about the cherry gardens and the stained glass and the colorful skylights. 

You turned back around in your saddle, eyes falling on Eret, riding in front of you. Looking at him now, he looked like a more traditional king - leading his soldiers into battle with his head held high. You knew better though - you knew about the ball gowns and the leaping from balconies and the teasing playful smiles. 

It would be strange to see him back home, where you were so used to people of high status being cold and withdrawn.