25

You were waiting for the feeling of the arrowhead piercing through your flesh - the hot iron grip of pain as your fluttering heart cut itself to pieces on the intrusion - but in never came. In fact, you heard a thunk instead, and suddenly something was blocking the sun in front of you. 

You opened your eyes to see a familiar colorful cape and a head of fluffy brown curls. Eret crouched in front of you, holding a shield that had stopped the arrow. In his other hand, a sword, poised to strike. And strike he did, leaping forward with the grace of a wild cat and stabbing his enemy cleanly through the middle. 

The body slid off his sword and he turned back to you, glasses discarded and worry in his eyes. 

"Eret." You breathed, your muscles relaxing at the sight of him. You were safe. You were alive. Eret was here.

"Are you alright?" He asked, lifting you up off the ground with one hand and giving you the once over. "You're not hurt, are you?"

"No, I'm alright." You said. "Thank you."

There was a flash of a smile in the corner of his mouth at that. "Anytime." He said, eyes darting past yours to somewhere behind you. All of a sudden Eret was pulling you to his chest and leveraging his shield in front of both of you, catching the arrow before it could do any harm. "We need to get you inside, somewhere safe."

"Y/N!"

You turned when you heard Simon's voice to see him battling through the masses until he stood at your side, curls disheveled and panting something fierce. The worry that had been in his eyes drained once he saw that you were alright though and he allowed the ghost of a smile to grce his lips. "You're alright."

"I'm alright." You repeated. 

"Simon." Eret said cheerfully. "You wouldn't mind helping me get our dear Y/N somewhere safe, would you?" 

"Of course." Simon said, a determined look coming over his face. "I'll lead the way if you'll follow."

With that you were off, slowly pushing your way towards the castle walls. Simon took the lead, cutting down any enemy that tried to face him head on, and Eret kept you pressed close, safe behind his shield and his sword if anything got too close. Even though you weren't doing any of the fighting, just being in the battle was enough to make the adrenaline pump, your eyes snapping from enemy to enemy, thinking that each time a sword was brought down or an arrow was loosed this would be the end. 

"Eret!" Simon called. 

Eret raised his shield just in time to block a vindicator that had snuck up from the side, catching his axe in the painted wood and throwing him off balance. From there, he only had to swing his sword once under the shield for the blade to catch on skin and the vindicator to go down.

Eret pried the axe from his shield and tossed it down on the corpse, not even batting an eye. There wasn't a moment to rest before he was ushering you forward again, inching closer and closer to the palace walls and safety. 

When you had first met him, you had assumed that he was nothing like his father. Eret cared for rich colors and ball gowns and cherry blossoms while Herobrine had been renowned for his military prowess and fearsome eyes. On paper, they were as different as night and day, and you had discounted that they were still father and son. 

Now, watching as Eret made pillagers stop in their tracks just by looking at him, you could see the relation. 

He was a flurry of motion and a swirl of color, his sword moving fast enough that it was only a glint of light in the air before the blade struck. His shield held steadfast, blocking arrows and axes alike as you hovered behind it's protection. Through it all, he didn't say a word, just keeping you within reach as he moved forward, one eye always trained on your surroundings. 

It wasn't long before you were approaching the palace walls. Flaming boulders hit closer now, sending sheets of rubble falling down from the stone every time they landed. Archers were perched on top of the walls, raining arrows down on the pillaging army below them without discrimination. Eret angled his shield higher as you reached within range, stopping any friendly fire. 

Simon darted forward, sword flashing as he took down another enemy. "This way!" He called, starting towards the western gatehouse at a full sprint. 

Eret nudged you forward and you started to run as well, careful to stay under the shield's protection. An arrow whizzed by your head and you gasped, only for Eret to urge you forward again whispering words of encouragement in your ear. Ahead of you, you could see Simon at the gatehouse, banging on the door until it opened from the inside.

He pushed it open all the way and you put out a last burst of energy and darted inside, Eret and Simon following after you. 

Your breath coming in pants, you sunk to the floor, listening to the walls of the castle rattle and shake around you. You were all but shaking from the adrenaline, and now that you weren't focused on fighting for you life, you began to notice the small cuts littered where your skin was exposed. 

Eret sunk into a crouch in front of you, pure white eyes searching yours. "Are you alright, my dear?" He asked softly. 

You nodded shakily. "I'm alright." 

"Are you sure?" Eret said, reaching a hand out to cradle your cheek gently. "You're shaking like a leaf."

You nodded again. "I'm alright. You have troops to lead, don't worry about me."

Eret took his hand back, glancing up at Simon. Without even exchanging a word, Simon nodded, grabbing you under your shoulders and pulling you up, draping one of your arms over his shoulders so you could lean on him. "You go back and lead your men, I'll take care of Y/N."

Eret rose to his feet again, turning to re-enter the battlefield. "Thank you Simon." He said, his eyes sliding to you once more. He smiled, and then he was gone, colorful cape billowing out behind him as he walked back into the fray.