ventitré

The following afternoon, a few of the others went to check on Rick since he's been wandering around outside all morning. I brought the twins outside, watching them run around as I stood next to Carol.

I also noticed Rick and Hershel talking by the fences. Beth was talking to Carl by the bleachers and Maggie was inside with Judith. Beth thought Maggie would feel a little better after some time with Judith and I agreed. I hadn't seen Glenn since he left. Axel made an appearance and struck up a conversation with Carol, but I was too lost in my thoughts to join in.

I didn't get a wink of sleep. I stayed up all night worrying about the kids. Worrying about Rick and the others. Seeing Jimmy when I know he's not there. It's hard to get any sleep like that.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see my brother.

"Finally came out your nest huh?" I asked.

"I wish you'd brush the nest on your head. Or wash it whatever you think will tame...that." He said motioned to my hair.

"I can't do anything about humidity Charlie."

"Give me some scissors, I'll chop it right off."

"I bet you would love that wouldn't you?" I chuckled. He laughed and started to say something, until the sound of gun shots rang out stopping all conversations around me. I stood there as a bullet entered his chest and he fell to the floor in pain. I heard my kids screaming as more shots rang out. I could faintly hear someone calling my name, but I couldn't move, or think, or even process what just happened.

"Mommy!" My head snapped when I heard Gracie. I saw the two of them running towards me. I tried to see where the shots were coming from but from what I could tell, they were coming from everywhere. I yelled for them to get down and was glad they listened. When there was a pause on the shooting, I ran to grab them. That's when I took time to notice Carol laying next to Axels lifeless body.

I moved the twins behind the wall where Beth and Carl was, safe for now. I saw Maggie run over with a few Rifles. She handed one to Beth, then to me. I just wanted to see if Charlie was alive. Maggie got behind a few large objects and started shooting at the man in the tower. Carol was able to move to cover, and I was able to drag Charlie's body behind the wall.

He groaned in pain as I dragged him but I was just glad to hear him still breathing. Once we were out of range, I quickly got to work trying to stop him from bleeding out.

"Alright you're gonna be fine." Everything got quiet. The only noise you could hear was the sound of a truck crashing through our fences. I stood up and watched as whoever was driving it, unloaded over a dozen walkers into the field Hershel was in. Maggie was able to take down the guy in the tower, so everyone was able to move to help Hershel.

I didn't see anyone still shooting at us, so I told the twins to open the door so I could get Charlie inside.

"I know you two are scared but I have to help Uncle Charlie and I need your help okay?" They nodded and went to open the door.

"Charlie I need you to help me. You're a big guy and I can't drag you all the way there either." I tightened the cloth covering his wound, before helping him to his feet.

I managed to get him inside and on a table. Judith was crying at the top of her lungs but I couldn't do anything about that right now. The twins were crying but I couldn't do anything about that either.

I walked over to him and started prepping.

"Alright Charlie I know you're in a lot of pain so I'll try to get through this quick." I told him. When I got no response, I froze. When I looked at him, his eyes were open but lifeless. He didn't move a muscle. He wasn't breathing. I closed my eyes and laid my head on his chest. The silence spoke loud enough.