quattro

The next morning, I was woken up by Shane saying he was gonna help take care of all the bodies so to keep the twins inside. Once everything was settled, we all got together to figure out our next move. Rick suggested we head to the CDC. It sounded like a good idea to me.

Everyone who wasn't burying bodies was making themselves busy. I was doing laundry while going over letters and numbers with Timmy.

"E will you tell your daughter to stop following me around." Daryl huffed walking over with Gracie on his tail. I chuckled.

"She likes you. Stop being a sourpuss." He glared at me causing me to roll my eyes.

"Fine, come here Gracie." She giggled coming over to me.

"Let's do Abcs with Timmy okay?" She nodded and sat down with her brother.

Later on that day, Shane and Rick announced that we were going to the CDC. I was nervous to leave the camp with the twins but the CDC sounds way safer than here. When it was time to leave, some decided it was better for them to not go. I got all my stuff loaded up in my car.

Charlie was riding with Daryl, Lori and Rick had Carl and Sophia. So Carol rode with me and the twins. I got them situated before walking over to Shane.

"You gonna be okay riding by yourself?" I asked. He scoffed and chuckled.

"I'm a grown man Evie, I can drive by myself." I smiled and hugged him. He took a breath and hugged me back.

"See you in a bit." I nodded before going to my car. I got in and followed behind Rick and the others. Carol and I made small talk while the twins fell asleep in the back. She shared with me some memories of her husband. Some good some bad. I did the same. I told her about the biggest fight Jimmy and I ever had.

FLASHBACK*

I was about 5 months pregnant with the twins. I had just got back from my appointment where it was confirmed that there were two babies inside me. Jimmy couldn't make it to the appointment, but he was suppose to be home tonight.

When I got in the house, I smiled seeing him sitting on the couch. He got up when he saw me come in.

"Look at you." He smiled moving over. I smiled and embraced him. He hugged me then cupped my face to kiss me deeply.

"I missed you." I smiled.

"I missed you two. Look at your belly." He chuckled happily.

"Our little guy is gonna be a football player watch." He smiled rubbing my belly.

"Well maybe they both might." He looked up confused.

"Both? There's two in here?" I chuckled.

"Yup. A boy and a girl." He laughed happily and moved down to kiss my stomach. We spent the whole day talking. When dinner came, we just ordered food and continued talking.

"So are you home for good?" I asked. He looked at me.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"We talked about this. You were gonna stay home to help me with the baby. Now we're having two I need the help Jimmy."

"I have a duty to my country, they still need me."

"You have a duty to me as well. Your wife. I need you here. I can't raise two kids on my own."

"You're not on your own. You have your brother, Lori hell even Shane."

"None of them made vows to me. None of them played a part in making these babies. You did, you should be here."

"You know I would if I could. But I can't. Not yet at least." I shook my head and wiped my eyes.

"So your job is worth it all? Missing the birth, the first steps, first words, first birthday, first day of school-"

"My job helps guarantee that all of that even happens!"

END OF FLASHBACK*

"So what happened after that?" Carol asked.

"He went back. Called every night. Made it to the hospital when they were born, first birthday. Saw Gracie take her first steps. He didn't stop talking about "dada" being Timmy's first word." I smiled.

"You made it work." She nodded.

"Yeah we did." I sighed softly. The conversation ended after that. We had pulled over when the RV broke down. Dale worked on fixing it while Rick and the others discussed what to do with Jim.

"It's what he wants." Lori said. Apparently Jim wanted to be left behind. The infection from the bite was causing him too much pain. I thanked him for his part in protecting everyone against the walkers. Everyone said their peace, the RV was up and running and we were on our way.

As we got closer to the army base, I got an unsettling feeling. What if Jimmy made it back and was here defending the city. Once we got close enough, we got out the cars. I look around at all the dead soldiers laying around. I started breathing heavily and began turning over bodies.

"Evie what the hell are you doing?" Shane asked walking over.

"What if he's here? What if one of these bodies are his?" I wiped my face.

"He's not here."

"How do you know? What if he is? We need to look." I huffed. He shook his head.

"Just accept it."

"He's your brother for Gods sake Shane!"

"You're gonna check all these bodies for him? That's your plan?!" He yelled.

"Hey lets calm down alright?" Rick said. "Let's get inside first. Then I'll come out here and help you myself alright?"

I took a breath and nodded. I pushed past Shane and went over to the car for the twins. I picked up Gracie and Charlie got Timmy.

"You okay?" He asked. I simply nodded. We all stayed close and walked up to the CDC. My eyes scanned the bodies for my husband. I was so focused on finding him, that I barely noticed the overwhelming smell of dead bodies.

We got to the entrance but couldn't get in. Shane and Rick tried lifting the shutters.

"Walkers." Daryl announced before shooting an arrow.

"Come on Rick it's a dead end. It's not safe we should head back." Shane said. Rick shook his head.

"No. I know some one is in there."

"Fort Benning is still an option." Shane said.

"It's what 100 miles away? With no food or gas How is that possible?" Lori asked.

"It's 125. I checked the map." Glen said.

"We should head back Rick."

"It's not safe at night this close to the city." Everybody turned to head back to the cars.

"Wait the camera moved." Rick said.

"No you imagined it lets go." Dale said. Rick then started yelling and hitting the shutters.

"I know you're there! Please we have women and children! You're killing us!" Shane had to literally drag Rick away. Rick turned his back on the CDC just as the doors opened.