quattordici

I woke up and cringed at the brightness in the room. Patricia was dabbing my head with a warm cloth. She smiled softly seeing me awake.

"You're awake." I tried to talk but my throat felt dried up. She moved to get me some water. I emptied the glass in a matter of seconds.

"How long was I out?"

"About a week."

"A week?" I asked in disbelief.

"You should've woken up sooner, but Hershel said maybe you weren't ready to wake up. That your body needed its rest. How are you feeling?"

"Sore." She nodded and handed me two painkillers.

"It was a close call with you. We were surprised you even got back to the farm with those injuries."

"I had to. My kids need me." She nodded understanding.

"Speaking of, I need to see them." I pulled back the blanket and slowly sat up, hissing at the pain.

"You shouldn't try to get up."

"I'm fine. Just help me stand please?" She nodded and helped me out the bed. She helped me slowly to put some clothes on. I used her for support to walk. She opened the door and led me to the living room where everyone was sitting around.

"Guess who's finally awake." Patricia said. All heads turned and everyone stood up.

"About damn time." Charlie said coming over to me. He hugged me softly, careful of my wounds. He pulled away and kissed my head.

"Mommy!" The twins ran over. I smiled happily as they hugged my legs. I hugged and sat down with everybody, holding my kids close.

"Where's the guys?" I asked.

"They went after the prisoner." Andrea said. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What prisoner?"

Everyone started telling me what I missed. From the situation with the barn, finding Sophia. Lori being pregnant. Rick, Hershel, and Glen getting shot at. The prisoner, Dale dying, Shane and Jimmy fighting.

"Jimmy cut off his hair and beard. Can't even tell the two apart now." Lori said. I took in everything, shocked that I missed it all. I honestly didn't know what to say about any of it.

"So Rick, Shane, Jimmy, Glen, and Daryl are out there looking for this prisoner?" I asked.

"Yeah but they should've been back by now." Tdog said.

"I'm going after them." Andrea said getting up.

"No we need you here, just in case Rhandall comes back." The door then opened and in came Daryl and Glen. They explained that the prisoner turned into a walker. But he wasn't bitten, his neck was broken and he was with Shane the whole time.

"I need you to go out there and find Rick, Shane, and Jimmy." Lori said to Daryl. He nodded heading out. I chewed my lip worried. Everyone headed outside except for the Charlie and the Twins and I.

"You still taking your meds?" I asked Charlie. He nodded.

"Everyday. And your boyfriend and your husband fight just about everyday too." I rolled my eyes.

"Shane isn't my boyfriend."

"Well Jimmy disagrees. He thinks you're in love with him. It didn't help that you were muttering his name in your sleep. Plus Jimmy is pissed about Shane being there when the twins were born." I rolled my eyes again.

"Jimmy knows Shane was there."

"He didn't know that Shane gave you his blood for the transfusion and cut the cord." I groaned.

"Can I just go back to sleep?" He chuckled.

"I'm glad you're okay. Now I don't have to be the big Walsh twins referee." Charlie said.

I was about to say something until Lori and the girls ran in. Lori ran upstairs calling Carl's name. I looked at Carol confused.

"What's going on?"

"Walkers. Too many to count." Suddenly gunshots could be heard all outside. Charlie got up grabbing his shotgun. He went outside to help I'm assuming.

"Mommy I want daddy." Gracie sighed.

"I know, me too baby." Lori came back downstairs panicking because she couldn't find Carl. The ladies helped her check the house. I slowly got up and walked to the front door. My eyes widen seeing the farm completely overrun. The barn was on fire and walkers were everywhere.

"Babies put on your stuff now. We gotta go." I went back to the room I've been in for the past two weeks. I put on my boots and a light jacket. I grabbed my knife, my gun, and my car keys.

I went back into the living room to the twins. I made sure they were okay. Lori still couldn't find Carl. Everyone assumed he found Rick and was with him. I grabbed the twins and we all headed outside.

Charlie and Hershel were defending the house from the walkers. I saw my car parked over by a big tree. Lori, Beth, Patricia, and Carol went different ways. They gave up on trying to get Hershel to go with them.

"Charlie lets go!" I yelled at him.

"Get to the car!" He yelled back.

"I can't, we won't make it!" By now the twins were sobbing. He cursed and came over. He picked them both up and headed to the car. I shot any walkers that got close. He got the twins in the backseat and closed their doors. He then started shooting walkers near me so I can get to the car.

I got in and started the car. He got in as well and kept shooting out the passenger seat. I drove over to Hershel just as Rick appeared with Carl and Jimmy.

"Evie." Jimmy sighed in relief. He got in the back with the twins. Rick dragged Hershel to the other car. I turned the car and drove away from the farm. The ache in my head and my body was unbearable, but I ignored it and fought through it.

"I thought I lost you when it took so long for you to wake." Jimmy said. I shook my head.

"I'm here now. I'm okay."

"Daddy you're bleeding." I heard Timmy say.

"I'm okay bud."

"We should head to the highway. I bet everyone who made it out will be there." They both agreed.

"Did Shane make it?" I asked. Jimmy took a breath.

"He's um. D-e-a-d." He spelled out to spare the kids. My heart dropped and my throat went dry.

"W-What?"

"He uh, tried to s-h-o-o-t Rick. Him and I started to f-i-g-h-t. Rick...ended it." he stopped. I chewed my lip and nodded taking in this information. I tried really hard to fight back the tears, but I couldn't help that my heart broke. I stopped the car and got out to take a minute.

Jimmy got out the car and walked over to me. He cupped my face and brushed my tears away. I shook my head and buried my face in his chest, sobbing softly.