nove

We got Carl set up on the table. Hershel was ready to cut, but the sound of a truck outside stopped that. I went outside with everyone to meet Shane. I sighed in relief seeing him. He handed the bags to Hershel. Rick and Jimmy both embraced him.

"Otis?" Hershel asked. Shane simply shook his head.

"Don't say anything to Patricia. I need her. Evelyn come on." He said going back in the house. I looked at Shane before following him inside.

We managed to relieve the pressure in his abdomen and get all the shrapnel out. Once he was stabilized, we went to tell Rick and Lori. They hugged us then Rick went with Hershel to tell Patricia about Otis. Lori went to see Carl, leaving me with Shane.

I walked up to him and hugged him tightly. He hugged me back and we just stood there for a while before I pulled away.

"You should get cleaned up so I can take a look at your leg." He nodded softly. I walked with him in the house and up to the bathroom.

"I'll go find you some clothes." He nodded softly. I went downstairs to talk to Maggie. She gave some of Otis clothes and I went back upstairs to Shane. I knocked on the door and waited for him to answer.

When he did, he was standing there shirtless with a pair of clippers in his hand. I handed him the clothes.

"Here. Maggie said they were Otis's so they won't fit too well." He looked at the clothes and nodded.

"Thank you." He said quietly. I took in his appearance and I've known him long enough to know something is wrong other than what he's said. I moved past him into the bathroom.

"Evie what're you doing?" I took the clothes and clippers out of his hands.

"Sit." I said motioning to the toilet.

"Evie-"

"Sit." I repeated. He sighed and sat down. I closed the door and put the clothes down. I got the clippers on and started cutting his hair. My fingers moved through his hair along with the clippers.

"So. Why the change?" I asked referring to his hair.

"It's too hot for hair." He simply said. I nodded knowing there was more to it.

"You know, you can talk about whatever you're holding back. You can talk to me Shane." He stayed quiet. It took a few minutes for me to realize he was crying. By that time I just about finished cutting his hair. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Shane what's wrong?" I sighed. He shook his head and rested it against my stomach. I rubbed his head then crouched down so I was eye level and cupped his face.

"Talk to me." I used my thumb to wipe away his tears.

"I'm in love with two women that I can't be with." I knew the other woman he was referring to was Lori.

"I can't hold you at night anymore. I can't be the first person you go to for anything. I can't be the one to kiss you whenever I feel like it. Do you know how that feels Evie? To have you right here and have to fight myself so I won't kiss you? I mean I-I-" I cut him off by planting a soft kiss to his lips.

He didn't hesitate to kiss me back. He cupped my face to deepen the kiss and I didn't pull away. My heart was beating fast. I knew this was wrong on all levels but I didn't want to stop. Next thing I know, he had me on his lap. I wrapped my arms around him as our kiss intensified. He moved away from my lips to my neck.

I held onto him as soft moans escaped my mouth. When he moved his hands under my shirt, that's when I snapped out of it and pulled away.

"We can't." He looked at me.

"Evie-" I shook my head getting up.

"I shouldn't have kissed you. I have to tell Jimmy."

"No you don't." He said. I shook my head.

"I do. He's my husband. He's your brother Shane." I shook my head walking out the bathroom. I went downstairs to see Jimmy asleep with the twins. I sighed as the guilt overwhelmed me. Jimmy was no doubt going to hate me. But I deserved it.

I needed to clear my head. I took a machete and my gun and headed outside.

"Hey where are you going?" Glen asked from the porch.

"I need to clear my head." I said walking down the steps and towards the field. Once I was far enough away, I sat there and thought about Jimmy's face after I told him. He'll be heartbroken. I don't even know why I kissed Shane. Maybe I do have feelings for him. Maybe I just felt bad for him.

I sat there all night in my thoughts. I barely noticed the sun coming up. I felt a tap on my shoulder and jumped turning around fast. It was just Lori coming to check on me.

"Mind if I sit?"

"Go ahead." She sat down next to me in silence. I felt her eyes on me though.

"Glen said you've been out here all night? Something wrong?"

"I kissed Shane. Well it started as a kiss. We ended up making out. I cheated on my husband with his brother." She nodded.

"Well at least you didn't sleep with your husband's best friend." I knew about her and Shane, it was just weird coming from her mouth.

"Trust me I've got it worse." She sighed.

"I gotta tell Jimmy." I sighed.

"You think that's a good idea?"

"The least I owe him is the truth. And if I don't tell him, the guilt will just eat me alive." We talked a little bit more before she went to check on Carl. I heard the twins running over and put a smile on for them.

I played with them and chased them around the field a little. The sound of a motorcycle drew their attention away from me. Coming up was Daryl and the rest. We walked back to the house to greet them. Gracie walked up to Daryl and hugged his leg. He simply patted her head and told her to move. I playfully rolled my eyes at that.

I greeted everyone else. They were all relieved to hear that Carl was doing better. After introductions were done, everyone followed Hershel to the spot where they planned to have Otis's funeral. I went to follow but someone grabbed my arm. I came face to face with Jimmy.

"Hey You okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah I'm fine."

"Well I heard you were out here all night. You didn't eat, sleep. You sure you okay?" He asked stroking my cheek. I nodded and looked down.

"Yeah. There's something I do want to talk to you about, but it can wait." He nodded.

"Alright. You should get something to eat after this." He said. I nodded.

"Alright." He kissed my cheek and we went to join everyone. Shane was in the middle of telling his story of what happened to Otis. Something felt off. I know it has to do with what he refused to tell me.