XXXIV

"So what did you find?" Lillian asked into the phone.

"Not much. We figured out who gave that anonymous tip, but it turns out the guy is dead, so that idea went out the window. We talked to the people from the funeral home, but they barely remembered anything about the burial, so they looked in their records, but they didn't find anything unusual. Apparently, though, the mirror was there, in the case, when the kid was buried, so that was odd."

"So, pretty much nothing else there?"

"No." Rolf sighed. "Hopefully we'll find something more interesting tomorrow when we talk to Ashley. By the way, if your parents didn't know, we're obliged to tell them- is that okay?"

"I don't think they know. And... well, I guess you can go ahead and tell them. If you have to, you should."

"Do you think we'll gain anything from that interview?"

"Probably nothing you don't already know. I don't know what you're looking for by talking to them. I doubt it'll be helpful at all."

"Hey, at least we can try."

"So tomorrow you're looking at talking to them, the Thaumatogenesis cops, and Ashley?"

"Yeah. Out of those three, Ashley is probably going to be our most solid lead. Beanie isn't interested in answering questions and is too powerful to hold for questioning."

❧☙

"They're going to try to question Ashley?" Dakota asked nervously.

"Yeah, tomorrow. Don't worry, though, she's got it figured out."

"Is she going to obliterate?"

"Probably not, and even if so, not yet. She doesn't want to drive Galena insane. Besides, you know how risky that would be. If she did that, I don't know whether the Nine would think to trace it, but then they'd realize that someone had obliterated, and link her to Galena, and link Galena to Lillian and you. So probably not."

"I guess so. What's she going to do?"

"Probably just avoid them. You already saw she sold her apartment. She's moving out right now. She'll probably hide out in the tower, at least until we get all this figured out."

"What are they going to think of that?"

"I can't tell you what they'll think. They won't find her, though. She'll be long gone before they get there."

"That's good," Dakota said, relieved. "Any news on the Nine?"

"Nothing really. They're looking, but they haven't found you or anyone else yet."

"It's taking them awfully long."

"You're well hidden. You certainly gave yourself time."

We tried.

Rory rolled his eyes. "Is that mirror you ordered going to come anytime soon?"

"I checked and it should be here by Wednesday."

"That's good. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to use the hand mirror?"

"Can't you wait? You'll probably want to use it even after I set it up. I'll be putting the big one in a place that won't be easy to get back to on this side."

"Good to know. I'll use the little one, then."

"Thanks for everything."

"Where did that come from?" Rory scoffed.

"Does it need to come from somewhere? I said thanks," Dakota responded. "And I'm excited to see Ashley again."

"I don't know why the thought excites you so much. It really isn't any different from usual."

"She's very slightly less annoying than you."

"That's optimistic. I won't be surprised when you're disappointed."

Dakota snorted. "You're never surprised anyway."

"You'd be surprised."

"I guess you were wrong the other day, so maybe..."

"I wasn't wrong. And that was a joke."

"An awful one. You're even more annoying than Ashley."

❧☙

Galena nervously ran her fingers through her hair, staring out the window with an uncomfortable expression. Rolf turned and tried to catch her glance, but she continued to watch the scenery obliviously. Relenting, he cleared his throat softly and she turned her gaze.

"What is it?"

"You don't have to come tomorrow if you don't want to," he offered.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You could stay in your office and work. Or just stay home. I don't want to make you this anxious."

"No, I-" Galena cut off, working a tangle out of her hair. She winced. "I think I can come."

"You know we're probably going to end up arresting your mother, right?"

"And I want to be there for that. We need to know what she knows. I think she'll be at least a little more open to coming with us if I'm there."

"Is that going to help?"

"And also I want to make sure she's feeling okay. I don't want her to freak out or anything. You know what I mean? Beanie wouldn't eat when we had him, and then he somehow escaped. I'm not saying that's her, but still-"

"Yeah, I guess," Rolf replied. "The fact in and of itself that we need to arrest your mother is a bit weird. You can come, but I don't think it's a good idea if you're actually involved. Is it possible for you to just watch?"

"I- I guess so. Can you please just be a little bit nicer to her?"

"Than what?"

"I don't know, just nicer. She is my mother, after all. I care about her."

"Yeah, we'll try."