LIV

Lillian could, in fact, run.

She weaved through the park, panting in the cold air and wincing every time she landed too heavily on her right ankle. Eventually, she reached the door of the DIAO, beating her fists impatiently on the glass for several minutes before a disgruntled Evan finally answered it. She collapsed inside and caught her breath with her hands on her knees.

"This had better be urgent," he snapped.

"Is Galena here?"

"She is, actually. Rather surprising, given it's Sunday afternoon. We're not actually supposed to be here."

Evan continued to voice these qualms, but Lillian ignored him, darting down the hall and careening into the Assistant Director's office.

"Galena!" she choked out.

"What is it?" Galena seemed just as annoyed as Evan.

"I was thinking-" Lillian paused to take a breath- "about the case, and-" breath- "you know how Erica was-" breath- "only able to trace the cuttlefish illusion? What about-" She stopped for a few seconds to catch her breath. "What about the illusion he's using all the time to look like the vagrant?"

Galena's expression morphed from irritation to interest.

"Think about it. Every time he's done something traceable, Erica's noticed. Every time he's done something untraceable, our eyes have twitched. Even when I saw him, my eye wasn't twitching until he jumped. Erica couldn't trace whatever illusion he was using."

"So what are you saying?" Galena began cautiously.

"Maybe it's not an illusion," Lillian panted, holding out her hands. "Maybe that's what he really looks like."

"But that's..." Galena sputtered. "No, that's impossible. We saw him sixteen years ago, Lillian. He looked twenty then."

"I'm not offering an explanation," Lillian clarified. "I'm just saying, maybe we were wrong in making that assumption. There's a lot going on here."

"Maybe he's doing whatever untraceable..." Galena waved her hand vaguely. "...stuff he's been doing."

Lillian stared at her shrewdly. "I think we both know that you don't actually believe in Fifth Wheel, or whatever Erica calls it."

Galena drew her lips into a thin line. "There has to be an explanation for all this. I don't believe in Fifth Wheel, and I don't agree with your idea, either. Beanie is an illusion," she said firmly. "He's not a real person. And our job is to get answers from whoever's simulating him.

Lillian frowned, but didn't respond.

"Janelle says she'll be done with your DNA by tomorrow. Diane and Derek are still watching the thaumaturgy building. I'll call you if anything happens."

Lillian nodded, understanding this as a dismissal, and ducked out of Galena's office to trudge down the hall in silence, pondering Galena's words, stated in complete conviction. Beanie is an illusion. Try as she might, she couldn't convince herself of this.

She still believed that she was right.

Dakota shifted the mirror slightly to the right, careful not to touch the surface, before stepping back and examining it from all angles. Ashley nodded appreciatively from the side of the office.

"Good?" she asked.

"Good," he confirmed.

"What's your cover story?"

Dakota attempted to say something but a stutter covered the words.

"Pretend I'm Samantha."

He blushed. "It's a useful tool for students to be able to see their illusions from various perspectives."

"Good, good," Ashley said. "Where will you be when she comes in?"

He pointed to the corner of the office, between the bookcase and the wall.

"Good. What time is she supposed to get here?"

"Two o'clock."

"When will you be going over there?"

"When I hear footsteps in the hall."

"That's the wrong answer." Ashley shook her finger. "I'll text you when she's starting to go up the stairs. That should give you enough time to get ready."

"Really?"

"Her leg is hurt, remember? It's going to take her a long time to climb three flights, and probably even longer to find your office."

Dakota nodded in acknowledgement.

"Good," Ashley confirmed. "You have everything ready?"

He nodded again.

She pointed at the mirror. "Test it out."