Chapter 3 To Reflect a Memory

Chapter 3 - To Reflect a Memory

What am I doing?  You knew you could be quite indecisive, but at least you weighed your options before making rash decisions. This time, you had barely even considered the consequences. It was an odd feeling living life like the wind; not a care for where you were lead. It wasn't as if you had never strayed from virtue, but this was an entirely different situation. It conflicted with your devotion to Rex Lapis, but ignoring the wishes of your heart was something you couldn't imagine.

But why is that?

You almost stopped in your tracks. Why was your heart such a driving force in your life? You thought back to something pitiably familiar: lips as sweet and pink as berries, yet words as resolute and frozen as the lonely moon that guarded the night, smiling at you with such tenacity that a lie would be more believable. But a harmless memory, nonetheless.

"May I ask you something, Childe?" You inquired, now curious about the man you had found something desirable in.

He turned his head to glance at you, another unreadable expression cloaked over his face, "What do you wish to know?"

"What is it that drives you?"

"A rather personal question for someone you haven't known for long, don't you think?" he responded, though even if he didn't answer your question, his tone wasn't akin to animosity.

But you were persistent, "Then could you at least tell me why you're here?"

"I'm the eleventh of the Fatui Harbingers; my business here has to do with that," as one might expect from the Fatui, Childe answered enough and nothing simultaneously. You noted how odd it was that he wouldn't outright tell you what his intentions were. Sure, you hadn't known each other very long, but guiltless people don't need secrets.

If you weren't uneasy before, you sure were apprehensive now. Out of all troublemakers you could have involved yourself with, it had to be with the Fatui? And a Harbinger at that!

Sensing your change in mood, Childe added, "You can still turn back. I don't know why you insist on helping the travelers, but surely your loyalties lie with the Qixing."

The Qixing? But the only recent time I acknowledged anyone associated with the Qixing was during the Rite of Descension. The logical conclusion was that Childe had been watching, but you wouldn't have missed someone like him.

"I have no desire to be associated with them," you spat with unexpected acrimony. Your reaction surprised even yourself.

"I see," was all Childe said. Perhaps he sensed that it had something to do unresolved matters and didn't wish to push the issue further.

You didn't have time to contemplate it further, for Childe announced, "We're here."

* * *

While listening to Aether and Paimon's story, you started to realize they were very unlikely to be the culprits. Aside from the fact that a mortal really doesn't have the power to kill a god, their stories were genuinely innocent. Their deeds in Mondstadt reached even that of Liyue, and for that you had to commend them.

Childe, or Tartaglia, on the other hand, was not so ingenuous. The more information you acquired from him, the further your suspicions of him grew. It was plainly obvious that he was hiding something—a child would even be weary of him, but for what you hadn't a clue.

"I'll make sure the Qixing knows of your innocence. The focus needs to be put on uncovering what actually happened rather than on people who had nothing to do with the ordeal," you said after they had finished. "And also, I'm sorry for accusing you two so easily. I should have assessed the situation more deliberately."