Chapter 4 A Wish

Chapter 4 - A Wish

You felt strange–stranger than you had felt in many years. You were overlooking the city of Liyue on the Jade Chamber, feet fearlessly dangling over the edge. Ningguang surely would scold you if she saw.

Ningguang.

Who was she to you? You knew her as the motherly big sister you needed in your life, so when did she become a nuisance? Why did you ever regard her as such? You had so many questions, yet you were unable to answer one. You looked to the sky for a clue, but it calmly stared back at you without a word.

A clicking of heels sounded behind you, and you turned to see the very woman you were so conflicted about. She was carrying a glass of water in one of her elegant crystal cups.

"Thank you," you said as you accepted the water from her.

After a few moments of silence, Ningguang spoke up, concern entwined in her voice, "I want you to answer truthfully this time. How have you been?"

You contemplated the question for a bit, truly not sure how to answer. In your heart bubbled a feeling of gnawing guilt and perturbation, but those were emotions you had rid yourself of a long time ago. Or, so you had been told to.

"I don't know what's come over me recently, but I'm sorry for how I've been acting. It's unbecoming for someone of my position," you looked Ningguang in the eyes as you said this, desperately hoping she could sense your sincerity.

Ningguang sighed, and surprising, she sat down beside you, "I know you still miss her."

Your breath hitched, but you stayed silent and let her continue.

"I miss her too, you know. She was one of my closest subordinates, and even though we had very opposing views, it was thanks to her guidance that Liyue is where it is today." Ningguang was one of the strongest people you knew. She was smart, kind to the children, and had a knack for obtaining mora. She was also strongly independent, so for her to praise someone so highly, you knew without a doubt that she meant it.

You gave her a soft smile, at least sparing her that much. Loss was a tragic thing, but the meaning seems to have blurred with time.

It was bright, a pale yellow beginning to paint the sky. Wispy clouds of pink and red swirled together, their vibrant colors telling a story of colorful misfortune. And in an instant, it was gone. The vibrancy dissipated into the horizon, and time, too, was a fleeting constant.

The stars need not concern themselves with petty trifles.

You thought back to earlier in the day when you had met Childe, and you remembered when you had left him at the Northland Bank. After being so adamant about following him, in the end you left of your own volition. He reminded you of a storm in that he was a driving force. At a simple glance it might only rain, but thunder brews within.

Curiosity danced in your stomach. Where would he be at this hour? It wasn't so late that he'd surely be asleep, but it wasn't early enough where it'd be a simple task to find him, either.

You took to wandering the streets, hoping your luck might be similar to a protagonist of a romance novel. However, even if you didn't find Childe, at least you could admire the city. The familiar scenery never got old, but instead fostered a deep appreciation for your home. You wondered how the city would move on without Rex Lapis. Ningguang had briefly explained her thoughts earlier, so you would push the matter aside for now.

It was darkening, and the lights of the harbor illuminated the pathways with a soft yellow glow. It reminded you of the night sky—the way they incessantly gleamed. "May the stars light my path."