Chapter 10 Soul's Constellation

Chapter 10 - Soul's Constellation

Guilt has a way of ebbing at the soul in a way kindness could never reach, for one welcomes compassion into their heart and never realizes guilt's approach.

The thick air of nightfall smelled of foggy dew and a sense of longing of which you knew not the cause. Perhaps overhead the piercing reach of the stars could not penetrate the clouds, but moonlight could be so comforting when the rest of the world fell upon darkness. If you had crossed a sea of memories, then the water from the journey would evaporate into the air and later precipitate some time in the future.

With each lantern you could see the reflection in her eyes as she gazed away from you; it was as though she were taunting your inability to grasp her. And with but a short day when lilac could see no longer, you closed your eyes and imagined a reality where your transgressions could be cleansed. However, the moon does not clutch the night in its brilliance forever, and eventually, it too will wash away into the tide of time.

"Say," Sabina began, curiosity flashing across her jade eyes. "How do you know Master Childe?"

You had all finished your meals and were camping on the outskirts of a small village—had there been an inn you doubt it would have had enough rooms to support your group. There weren't very many of you—less than ten in fact—though you weren't keen on getting to know all of them. Some members had rather harsh tones, but they would never outright disrespect you. You suspected it had something to do with the fact that the inquisitive girl awaiting your reply had asked to begin with.

She seemed to sense your apprehension and added, "It's just that the situation is quite unusual. From our perspective, Master Childe has brought a girl from unknown origins into our midst and directed us to treat you as a fellow comrade."

From the way the other members were glancing up at the two of you, you could tell they were all wondering the same thing: who are you? In an earlier time you could have convinced them with resounding certainty you distinguished your own identity, but even the horizon falters at a constellation's repose. The sun gleamed over that skyline once with its own predisposition, for only when the dwindling moon reached its wane could the two convey a world opposite its own.

It was then you understand the weight at what Tartaglia had said before you departed: 

"There is nothing left for you here, so why not take a chance with something completely new? Of course, I won't force you, but do keep in mind that a Harbinger is giving you a rare opportunity."

The title of 'Harbinger' truly bore a grasp strong enough to sway the heart of man. If that power wasn't tempting, you weren't sure anything could entice another. Although you had no current intentions of using that information for your own gain, you were sure it would be of use at some point. The Fatui were too malevolent of an organization for abuse of power to not corrupt at least a few individuals.

As for your relationship with Tartaglia, it was a bit too complicated to clearly define, so you opted for vagueness, "I hail from Liyue Harbor, however, I happened upon Childe rather recently where we have since made a...mutual agreement."

The way Sabina's eyes slightly lowered suggested she knew you were intentionally leaving out important details, but it seemed to satiate her prodding eyes for the time being along with everyone else; the atmosphere was much more amiable afterwards.

* * *

The white-tinted glass portrayed a vision of a misty sky of haze; the contents outside were blurred, though still visible if one peered closely enough. You were currently in Tartaglia's office, a large room painted pale blue and adorned with dark bookcases, patiently embracing the dullness of the day.