ch. 13 - so it goes

'I once knew a girl with constellations painted on her soul'

><><

"You're dying?" Draco exclaimed, exceeding his usual monotone; catching him off guard as his voice echoed through the hall, and as Adeline turned around, facing him, that's when he really saw it.

Dark circles stained the corners of her heavy eyelids, and her skin looked worn; sickly; cold. His eyes dropped to her bare forearms, the sleeves of the large sweatshirt pushed to her elbows, and his heart jolted as he caught a glimpse of dark, thick lines trailing her arms.

Without thinking, Draco reached over and grabbed her notably pale wrist with his cold hand, pulling it up to his view—on instinct she pulled back, but his grip was too tight. Footsteps rounded the corner.

"Addie?" Harry's voice interrupted them.

Turning to him, Adeline met his confused, betrayed gaze, and despite Hermione trying to catch her eye, she couldn't tear them from this look on his face.

She watched as his eyes moved to Draco's hand tightly wrapped around her wrist, staring at something Harry couldn't see, though Harry's attention was drawn to the way Adeline's skin slightly bulged around Draco's hand, turning whiter, and as he opened his mouth to say something, she interrupted him, tearing her gaze to Draco.

"Let go," She said, and as Draco stood dumbfounded, eyes wide, staring at the lines in thought, she yanked her arm harder; finally pulled it from his grasp, shoving down the long, soft sleeves.

There was silence for a moment between the four as Addie studied Draco's face, who appeared to be in such concentration that he hadn't noticed the presence of Harry and Hermione; eyes still directed to where her arm was, lips slightly parted.

Her veins were turning black.

She could almost hear the cogs turning in his mind, and as he looked up, icy eyes meeting her tired gaze, shaping his lips to speak, she took a step back.

"Follow me," Draco said, turning on his heel, beginning to walk away.

"Get away from her," Harry spoke up, stepping closer to the pair, glaring at the blond who in turn merely glanced in his direction, stopping to wait for Adeline.

Between them at an equal distance, Addie took a shaky breath, a long one, and, shifting her weight onto one foot, hesitated, before moving closer to Draco.

With this one movement, his face changed; It was as though she'd plunged a sword between his shoulder blades right then and there, leaving him there to bear its protruding hilt without her as she slowly trailed after Draco.

><><

"Where are we going?" Addie asked, taking twice the amount of steps as Draco to keep up with him, curiously watching as he repeatedly checked behind them and almost heaved with every breath, wiping and rubbing at his face every now and then, his hair sticking up randomly after running his hand through it so any times. He didn't answer, and they remained in silence for what felt like forever, aside from the sounds of their shoes and the whistling wind as they walked through halls upon halls upon halls upon halls—