ch. 8 - get her back

'it is as inhuman to be totally good as it is to be totally evil'

[anthony burgess]

><><

"Holy shit."

"Holy shit."

"We have to go back!" Harry said as soon as Dobby had disapparated, frantically pacing around. They were once more in their tent and would regroup with the others that had been rescued—Luna Lovegood, Mr Ollivander, Griphook—in a few weeks at Bill and Fleur's place. "She can't stay there—we can't just leave her! I'm going back, I'm going back."

He made to grab his rucksack, but Ron pulled him away from it; placing a firm hand on his arm to stop him apparating somewhere as Hermione spoke up. "You-know-who almost turned up, Harry! They'll be waiting for you—"

"I DON'T CARE!" He yelled exasperatedly, his chest heaving up and down as his breath struggled to keep up with the feverish pace of his heart. "I'll take them all on if I have to! Did you even see her face—they've been hurting her! She's been all alone this whole time and I've been doing nothing to save her. I'm going back."

"Harry, mate, listen to me!" Ron put his hands on Harry's shoulders, forcing him to meet his gaze. "Calm down. You can't blame yourself for this! None of us even knew she was alive."

"But—I should've known, I should've figured it out, I—"

"Stop," Ron spoke, and Harry finally took a breath; looking down as he hastily wiped the tears that had fallen down his cheeks. His voice became softer. "I promise we'll get her back, but going right now is a death wish—and that's exactly what we don't need right now. We'll regroup, we'll think, and we'll come up with a plan, okay? We won't leave her there."

"...fine," he nodded, dropping the rucksack to the ground. "We'll come up with a plan."

Ron snuck a glance at Hermione, who nodded in encouragement from where she had sat down on the edge of her bed. A small smile lined her lips despite the evident pain she felt putting pressure against her forearm where Bellatrix had carved Mudblood into her skin.

Seeing this, Harry rummaged through his bag and pulled out a bandage roll. He handed it to Ron, who kneeled and gently wrapped it around Hermione's arm as she wiped at her eyes. Harry sat next to her, and as Ron secured the bandage down, sat on her other side; the two boys trying to offer her any sort of comfort. She linked her arms through theirs, and it was quiet for a moment before a teary smile formed on her face.

"Addie's alive," she said, the words feeling foreign, and Harry's heart warmed—but at the same time, it ached.

"...I don't get it," he spoke quietly. The other two looked over at him. "How is she alive? I mean—the rose was dead."