ch. 21. maya young

'i have searched for my mother's love in all corners of the world'

[Annie Ernaux, from I remain in Darkness]

><><

The tragedy of Maya Young.

Maya Young was a bright witch. She was known for her care—to family, to strangers. A pure soul keen to explore the vast magical world; to learn all she could of its wondrous, enticing intricacies.

She was a gentle girl; her voice calm, her magic powerful, yet elegant. A Ravenclaw in her heart, and at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry: class of 1977.

Maya dreamed of adventure; an unrestrained life of memories she could smile about decades later; one of liberty, of serenity. When her love for her Hufflepuff best friend, Samuel Greene, became requited, this desired life seemed, finally, within her reach.

He was like her other half; in love with her enticing grey eyes that, although devoid of colour, held an alluring sort of depth to them; in love with her freckles that would lighten in the winter; in love with the way her soft, sandy blonde hair felt in his fingers.

But most of all, he loved her for the woman he came to know her as, and the endearing comfort he felt at just her presence as his childhood best friend and partner. Thereby, he proposed to her in the spring, and the two were married as of June the 1st, 1979, hopelessly devoted to one another in the kind of young love that lasts a lifetime.

With a comfortable home to themselves and their beautiful lives ahead of them, Maya gave birth to a healthy baby girl on the 14th of April, 1980. With the eyes of her mother, the bright smile of her father, and the blonde hair of them both, Adeline May Greene was brought into the world.

The young couple were elated, and adored Adeline with all their hearts. A month after her birth, the couple visited their old school, Hogwarts, to introduce their baby girl to the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.

The kind man was a family-friend to Maya's parents and a key figure in her childhood. He knew how much she admired the castle from the stories her parents would tell her, and for a few days every summer until she turned eleven, Dumbledore let her stay there. He'd tell her secrets of the halls, show her each common room, let her run around the courtyard and accompany her as she explored the castle. Some of her fondest memories were from those summers, so naming him Adeline's Godfather took little consideration—and to say he was beyond delighted would be an understatement.

Only a month later did tragedy strike.

It was a warm, summer night when a cloaked figure broke into their home. Samuel and Maya had been asleep, it was midnight, after all, when loud noise from downstairs woke them up.

The two instantly went to Adeline's room as she began to cry, and as Maya took her from her cradle, Samuel moved to close the door, wand ready—though he was eclipsed in a blinding green light before his hand ever reached the knob.