ch. 6 - green light

'if you had really loved something,

wouldn't a bit of it always linger?'

[susan orlean]

><><

Several weeks passed—and Adeline felt worse than ever.

Every day since she had first been brought to this cell, the death eaters had given her a potion to fatigue her magic and thereby restrain her from using it to break out. And it had worked—as any amount of energy she had was never enough to transgress the sluggishness of her powers.

Only lately, they had been doubling the amount given to her; one at dawn, one at dusk. This led to Addie randomly fading in and out of consciousness for weeks; every day seemed to blur together. She would wake randomly—sometimes in her cell in the dark, sometimes in the middle of a training session with Dabria in control of her body.

This was one of those times.

She became conscious after god-knows how long. In front of her was a muggle—different from the last one she remembered—chained to a chair in the middle of the room.

Addie looked around Dabria's peripheral vision at the room. Her head was angled to the right, so it was difficult to make out exactly what the small pile to the left of the room was—Addie settled on it being a lot of dark fabric. To the right side, where Dabria was looking, there was a new, see-through wall that a few death eaters stood behind, presumably as a protective measure.

One of the death eaters, whom Addie didn't recognise, called over;

"The spell is Avada Kedavra—"

"I know!" Dabria responded sharply and rose her hand to the muggle before her, who quivered in his seat. He looked just as scared, just as vulnerable, as the last one that had nearly been hit with the Cruciatus Curse.

Addie tried to move Dabria's hand the way she had last time—but already found herself fading back into unconsciousness. She struggled to stay focused on the moment; to remain present; to gain back any sort of control.

Her vision began to darken, and the voices around her became incoherent and distant and fuzzy—and then, Dabria's lips moved with the curse, and a vivid green light shot from her palm, hitting the muggle squarely in the middle of their chest.

The person's arms dangled helplessly, and their head slumped; lifeless. Addie felt a wave of nausea wash over her shock as she spotted a bright red circle drawn on the muggle man's shirt, exactly where the killing curse had struck him.