ch. 7 - i'll find you

'i twist like a sunflower at the sound of your voice'

[kait rokowski]

><><

Addie awoke suddenly in her cell, startled by loud voices coming from somewhere outside her cell and the sounds of struggling and slick spells being fired. Yet again, she had no idea how long it had been from the last time she was awake and in control; everything was hazy and confusing, and all she could think about were the noises outside.

"ARE YOU MAD—?" A man's raspy voice she didn't recognise bellowed. His voice cut off, however, and choking sounds ensued—accompanied by the loud cries of Bellatrix.

"GET OUT! GET OUT!" She screamed. The voices were a bit muffled, as the large cell door blocked most of the noise. Alert, Addie sat up a little, remaining quiet as she listened closely. She assumed there were new prisoners, maybe, or death eaters who had done something. It was hard to tell.

There was coughing and the scuffling of shoes on the wooden floorboards. Then Bellatrix again, yelling to somebody;

"...Put the boys in the cellar! I want to have a little conversation with this one! Girl to girl!"

Addie felt her brow furrow, and she kept her breath soft to try and hear what was being said. It was dark in the cell, nighttime, so she wondered who on earth could be here so late when the halls were mostly silent at night. Besides, usually, when there were new prisoners, there wasn't much noise that accompanied it. The occasional shouting and resistance were normal—but nothing like this.

She heard the faint sound of a metal door slam shut from further away, and the hiss of Bellatrix's voice saying something she couldn't quite hear—until she started shouting again.

"...WHAT DID YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS TAKE FROM MY VAULT?"

Addie flinched at the sheer loudness of her voice—but listened closely as she heard faint whimpering: a girl's crying. But it sounded familiar. Really familiar.

Then the girl started screaming, and she knew who it was. She felt her heart drop to her stomach.

"HERMIONE?" Addie yelled—but no one heard her. The screams on the other side of the door were much too loud for her hoarse voice to overshadow. She pulled on the chains, trying to get closer to the door, but they didn't budge. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she pulled, pulled, pulled with a desperation she had only experienced a few times—but still, the chains bound her to the wall.

Hermione's high-pitched screams continued, and Addie felt hot tears streaking down her cheeks at the raw fear in her voice—Bellatrix was hurting one of her closest friends, and there was nothing she could do about it. No one could hear her.