Chapter 1

Colonel Christopher Brandon had fallen into sadness ever since Marianne left him for John Willoughby the month before. Christopher trusted Marianne but this trust was dashed when Willoughby stayed with Christopher only to sweep Marianne off her feet and take her to Edinborough. The divorce papers came in the mail the next week.

You had overheard the news about Christopher Brandon from Mr and Ms Middleton who you had just been employed by as the new stable person. You felt sorry for the Colonel, he had faced too much heartbreak for one man to bear. You had also overheard the two planning to invite Christopher for dinner, to try to get him out of the house and break the negative cycle he has fallen into. That was of staying in the house, in his room, crying over his lost love. This information had been supplied by his maid and the Middleton's couldn't bear this news.

"(y/n)?" someone called. You turned around, busy changing the hay to see one of the maids with a letter in their hand. "(y/n), the master wants this letter to be sent to Colonel Brandon with much haste."

"I do not know where he lived" you answered.

"Follow the road to the right and you will come upon it. It is the first house closest" she explained.

"That's fine" you murmured, placing down the brush and picking up the letter.

Getting onto your horse you departed towards Colonel Brandon's manor. The ride was peaceful and enjoyable, you had not been able to ride since you had started working at the house of the Middleton's.

You reached the house of the Colonel. You rode up to the doors, hoping down and tying your horse to the post.

You went up to the door and knocked to reveal the Colonel's maid.

"Yes?" she asked.

"A letter for the Colonel from the Middleton's" you said, sticking out your hand.

"The Colonel would want to see you" she said, ushering you in. "Please take your riding equipment off" she said.

You nodded, placing them next to the door and following after the servant up the stairs and through the beautiful insides of the Manor. She led you toward a door and went inside, then opened it for you.

You entered the office to see the Colonel. He had his back to you but turned to reveal his beautiful face. He had a sharp nose and fluffy blonde hair which fell in front of his face. The colonel stood and shuffled toward you, looking down at the letter in your hand.

"A letter from the Middleton's" you said.

"Wonderful" he said, taking it from your hand and opening it, quickly reading the letter. He flashed you a slight smile before sitting again and taking up his quill to reply.

You stood, unsure what to do, waiting for the reply to be written. His study was beautiful, full of books, trinkets from his travels and paintings. You analyse a certain painting which was of a young him, he hadn't changed much from what looked like his 20s.

"I haven't met you before" Christopher said, putting you out of your haze.

"Yes, I am the new stable person" you said.

"You like to ride?" he asked.

"I do, sir" you answered.

"I have thoroughbred myself" he said, pushing his hands through his fluffy blonde hair. "Now I wish your journey back to be a safe one" he said, handing you the letter of reply and giving you a shy smile.

"Thank you for your concern sir" you said, taking the letter.

"You are welcome..." he trailed off, unsure of your name.

"(y/n) sir" you answered.

"You are welcome (y/n)" he said, picking up the bell and ringing it. The maid returned and ushered you out and toward the door again.

"Have a good journey" the maid said. "I hope the Colonel agreed to dinner"

"I do also" you replied, getting onto your horse and riding her out, back to the Middleton's manor.

When Mr Middleton got the letter he immediately ripped it open and read the contents quickly. "Huzzah!" he exclaimed, making both you and Ms Middleton jump in surprise. "He is coming!"

"What wonderful news" Ms Middleton said, grinning from ear to ear.

You smiled, happy that the Colonel was starting to leave the house and you hoped this would be the way his negative cycle would break and he would get over his grief of losing Marianne.