Chapter 7

Christopher led you back into the house and showed you around the place. It was large and full of displays of things he had collected. These included ceremonial swords from his travels, porcelain sculptures, small decorated eggs and many more. They all had a story that came with it which you listened to carefully, loving how knowledgeable he was in seemingly everything.

Christopher meanwhile was just enjoying someone to show his things to. He didn't usually have this opportunity to show off his beautiful house to anyone, especially someone who listened to his every word. Although he tried to stop himself, he could feel himself falling even more in love with you than he already was. He mentally checked himself, he didn't want to have his heart broken again, but you were being so kind and you liked him.

Christopher has never been lucky in love. All he wanted was someone to love and to serve for the rest of his days, maybe have children to nurture and teach. He wished that first with Eliza, then Marianne and now with you. His father was not here anymore to say what was and was not appropriate for him to do. Christopher was his own man now. He could do as he wished, he could marry who he wished, including a person, not his class. He didn't care much about status and staying in social circles. All he did care about was those he loved and that was it.

It took Christopher around an hour to show you everything and at the end, you took tea with him and talked more about his collection, especially about the oriental weapons. He said he had got them as a sign of goodwill from a rich landowner and even had to use the Talwar when a burglar broke into his small house where he was posted in India

You listened intently, enjoying all Christopher's interesting stories about his travels. You thought back to your father and his long stories about his journeys abroad. You sighed happily, sipping your tea and smiling at Christopher. He smiled back and wanted to do nothing more than hug you like he did last time or even kiss your beautiful lips. He tried to push that thought from his mind but he couldn't help himself from imagining it.

"Is everything alright?" you asked, Christopher had gone quiet, staring at the floor with his tea in his hand. Christopher, who had been imagining him kissing you gently on the lips snapped his head up, slightly red.

"Oh, yes" he said, sipping the tea.

"You were saying about the climate" you prompted.

"Oh yes" he said, carrying on talking about his travels, trying to keep you out of his mind.

By the time Christopher had finished most of his stories it was late and you were both hungry. In the middle of the conversation, he told the maid to. Get the stableboy to carry on icing the horse's leg so you and he could keep talking.

"So would you like dinner?" he asked. "I believe it is lamb"

"lamb sounds lovely" you said. "Are you inviting me?" you paused. "For dinner?"

"Of course" he said "Unless you don't want to" Christopher's heart sank.

"No I would love to" you said. "Thank you"

Christopher grinned slightly, his heart beating quick but he kept his cool and gentlemanly facade on. "Wonderful" he said.