Chapter 2

A week passed and soon it became the day that the Colonel was going to visit. You waited impatiently for him so that you could meet his horse and see him again. The Middleton's were also in a state of impatience, wanting to see their good friend again after so long of him staying in his house alone.

You heard the sound of hooves and you looked out of the window of the house to see the Colonel. Quickly you left and walked around the house to greet him and take his horse to the stables. The colonel jumped off and patted the nose of his horse tenderly. When he saw you he smiled slightly and handed you the reins.

"Good afternoon sir" you said, taking the leather reins.

"Good afternoon" he replied. "Take good care of her"

"Of course" you answered, leading the horse away as the Colonel knocked on the door.

The horse was beautiful and nudged your arm, wanting a stroke as you led her toward the stable. You did just that, feeling the soft fur of her nose under your hand, you noticed that she must be very well looked after to have such a beautiful glossy coat.

"I don't even know your name" you mumbled absentmindedly at the horse as you put her into the stables. "How about obsidian" you mumbled, giving her a little snack which she gladly took.

You started to do some general jobs around the stables, making sure everything was in order and all the horses fed when you realised that if you sat at the little desk where the files were kept you could see into the dining room where the Middleton's and Colonel Brandon sat. He was so very handsome you thought, and he looked so kindly. You looked down, you would never have a chance with him, if he ever got over Marrianne he would surely choose someone of high standing. You watched him, saddened you were not born into such a class that would give you the chance. You shrugged, no point fawning over someone you would never get, you needed to finish your job.

Three hours passed when a maid told you that the Colonel wished for his horse. You nodded, unhooking the stable door and pulling the beautiful horse out. It trotted happily after you and seemed to bounce slightly, seeing it's master standing on the steps to greet it.

"I hope you had a good evening Sir" you said, handing him the reins.

"I did" he said, stroking the horses' neck.

"May I ask you a question Colonel?" you asked.

"Ask a way dear" he said, his hand still stroking the horse.

"What is her name?" you asked. "The horses'"

"Oh" he said. "You know, I had never thought about a name" he made a face, unsure. "What do you think?" he asked, turning to you.

"I do not think it is my place to say" you said.

"Nonsense" Christopher said.

"Well" you mumbled, "Because she has such black fur to call her obsidian would be rather fitting"

"Rather fitting indeed" Christopher answered, "Obsidian it is"

"Are you sure sir?" you asked, turning your fingers around in worry.

"Positive" he said. "Do you know much about rocks?" he asked.

"My father used to collect rocks" you answered. "Found them on his travels around the world"

"How fascinating" Christopher mused. "I have books on them, but not a collection"

"I have a few books on them also, but I have not got around to reading them, I am too busy with work" you said.

"I understand" Christopher said sadly. "Work can consume all"

"It really can" you answered sadly.

"Well, I wish that you may have more time for your pursuits" he said, getting onto the horse.

"Thank you sir" you said, smiling up at the Colonel. He shot you a smile and you stepped back as the Colonel pushed the horse into a quick trot out of the drive and to the road. You watched him go, in awe with him. He was so kind and cared about what you said. Who would ever cheat on him? He is the perfect man, so polite, so caring. You shook your head and went back to the stables, clearing out the box Obsidian was in. You had a fluttery feeling in your heart, loving how he was so kind to you, unlike most others of the class above you. Maybe you did have a chance with him, a tiny chance. You shrugged, time would tell.