Chapter 5

You were surprised to be woken quite late at night by a maid. You blinked, confused at the disturbance of your sleep.

"What is the matter?" you asked sleepily, yawning loudly.

"The Colonel is here and needs your help" she said.

"Why?" you asked, confused.

"He has an issue with one of his horses" she said. "He asked for your help." you got up quickly, pulling your clothes on and going downstairs to see Christopher with scared wife eyes.

"(y/n)" he said. "It is an issue with Obsidian" he looked worried. "She collapsed and can only limp" his face looked terrified, his colour drained from his face.

"Did your stable person have an idea of what happened?" you asked.

"They don't know" he said, his fingers fiddling themselves.

"Where is she?" you asked.

"At my stables" he said. "I know it is late but -"

"Of course" you said, going to get your horse, sandling her and getting on, following Christopher who was riding another horse.

The night was cold and the moon shone down which helped to light your way with the lantern you held. You heard owls and bat's pass but you couldn't see them, being too dark. You worried for Christopher, he looked scared when you saw him. He must have a deep connection with her then, to be so scared about an injury.

The Manor got into view and Christopher rode into the drive and to the left were the stabled were kept. Outside was his stableboy who led you to Obsidian. She greeted you happily and you patted her nose, making sure she was calm.

You started to assess her, checking bones and ligaments very carefully from her neck to legs. When you got to her left back leg you found the issue, the poor thing had an injury to her suspensory ligament. It was warm to the site and she obviously found it painful to the touch. You patted her back and came around to Christopher who sat on a seat, looking down at the ground, twiddling his thumbs.

"She has hurt her suspensory ligament" you said.

"Does it mean?" he asked, fearing that he would need to put her down.

"I can try to treat it" you said. "It may not be the same but it may let it heal"

"Thank you" he said, jumping up and hugging you close. You froze in shock as Christopher hugged you close as a way of gratitude. You heard him sigh and relax his head a little on your shoulder. He held on for longer than he should off, not like you minded at all, you were happy Christopher hugged you close.

Christopher let go and you smiled at you, "Thank you" he said again.

"You are welcome" you said. "I will need some books to make sure I am doing this right"

"Yes of course" Christopher said.

By the time you had got the books, returned and started to ice the leg it was already 3am and you yawned, tired and needing a rest as you sat in the corner of Obsidian's stable waiting for 20 mins to pass so you could take the ice off her leg. You were glad Christopher had saved quite a lot from winter which meant you could let ice and rest the horse's leg.

You heard a noise and Christopher popped his head over the door. "Do you need anything?" he asked politely.

"No it's fine" you said, holding back a yawn.

"You sound tired" he commented.

"I'm fine" you said through a yawn. "I need to look out for the ice"

"You still do sound tired" he said again, his fingers gently tapping on the door. "I have a spare bed, you can rest and I can get the stable boy to look over her."

"No, it's fine" you insisted.

"I am not taking that as an answer" he said. "It's the least I can do to thank you for this"

"Then get me the stableboy and I can show him what to do" you said.

Christopher got him and you showed he had to wait 20 mins icing the leg and then take it off for 40 and then put it back. He said he would do it and would tell you if anything happened. You nodded sleepily and went out of the box to see Christopher standing there.

"Thank you" he said again. You nodded as he put his hand on the small of your back and led you inside the Manor and to a room. It was large and very beautifully decorated. You grinned, thinking you would get the servants quarters.

"I am so blessed you have done this" he said again. "That horse means a lot to me. Thank you"

"I'm glad I can help" you replied, placing a tentative hand on his shoulder. Christopher smiled and put his on top. You stayed there for a little while, just happy with each other's touch until he let go and nodded. "I hope you enjoy the room" he said. "If you are hungry or thirsty the kitchens are always available.

"Thank you" you said with a smile and Christopher left the room. You smiled and took your shoes off, laying on the bed and soon falling asleep, exhausted from the night's work.