CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Sleep didn't come any easier for Amy-Jean than it had the previous night.

Marvel had been on guard for the first part of the night and had been relatively quiet, sharpening his spear with a rock. The fire crackled loudly in the background. 

Perhaps she would have slept easier if the hadn't been quite so close to Clove who slept only a few feet away from her, even in her slumber, a knife gripped tightly in her hand, poised to kill.

Cato was furthest from her, sprawled out on the other side of the fire, Glimmer clutching his arm and resting her head on it. Amy-Jean smiled to herself in amusement.

She almost jumped out of her skin when she felt a hand on her shoulder, shaking her lightly.

It was Marvel.

"Wake up 10." He whispered, "It's your turn."

Cold yet not particularly tired, Amy-Jean begrudgingly sat up and nodded at the blonde boy, "Yeah, sure,  goodnight." She muttered back to him and stood up, making her way to the log perched near the bright fire.

A spur of the moment idea hit her out of nowhere.

She hesitated for a moment, contemplating, then turned back around.

"Did you argue with Glimmer?"

Marvel looked confused, "No?" he trailed off.  Amy-Jean shook her head, 

"Oh! Right, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"Why do you ask?"

Amy-Jean inwardly grinned, "Nothing, forget I asked, just something I heard. I really shouldn't get involved-"

"What did you hear?" She had him hooked.

She pursed her lips, trying to look as conflicted as possible, she purposely averted her gaze very obviously towards Cato and Glimmer.  She moved closer to Marvel, whispering.

"Glimmer was talking about last year's stipulation, you know, the one where both tributes from a district could win and she was.. saying she wished Cato-," Amy-Jean said in a low and shy tone, "I don't know, I really don't , I'm sorry I thought you two had fallen out..."

She didn't allow him to respond and quickly excused herself to the fire.

Marvel eventually lay down and carefully peering behind her, she could see his eyes fixated on his district partner. Amy-Jean exhaled, lying was almost too easy for her.

The night was unnaturally still, but of course she shouldn't be surprised, the forest wasn't natural. Amy-Jean had to remind herself regularly that she was in a thought out, carefully mastered arena. Every tree, every animal has been purposely placed.

She shivered, the thought of constantly being watched dawning slowly on her.

She wondered if the TV at home was on, was Lynn watching her, dreading the moment she would inevitably die.

Movement from behind Amy-Jean quickly snapped her out of her stupor and back into reality, her heart beating impossibly loudly as she spun around in record time, subconsciously reaching for the closest weapon.

Even in the dim, flickering light, she could read Cato's bemused smirk who sat up, ungraciously dropping Glimmer's head to the forest floor. She fell with a small thud and groaned, then rolled over, apparently undisturbed.

"What are you doing with my sword 10?" He asked mockingly.

Amy-Jean looked down and scowled, dropping Cato's sword back to the floor with a loud thud, "I might cut you next time." She snapped almost without thinking, still reeling from the fright.