CHAPTER TEN

Amy-Jean looked very uneasily at the fluorescent yellow high heels Hero was waving in her face with a wide smile.

"Uhh," She gingerly plucked them from her escort's hand, "Thank you..." She trailed off, examining the ridiculously high platform the shoe had.

Hero looked at her disapprovingly, "It's only five inches. Don't be dramatic." She said, "Just put them on."

She really didn't want to, nor did she particularly see the point but nonetheless kicked off her boots and slid on the heels, strapping them on. She grimaced as she inspected them, they felt strange and uncomfortable.

Using the table to steady herself, Amy-Jean pushed herself up to her feet.

Immediately she wobbled and basically leaned all of her weight on the table, terrified to stand up on her own two feet. 

Hero exhaled dramatically, "Goodness me." she said in her annoying accent, "What do they even teach you in District 10?!" She strutted forward elegantly in her own heels and took hold of Amy-Jean's arms and forcing  her to let go of her only source of support.

Amy-Jean struggled, "I'm real sorry Hero." She almost snapped.

It took Amy-Jean over an hour to be able to walk in heels with a smile that looked good enough to mask she was in constant fear of her life. The only upside from the heels was that she was about four inches taller, no longer a legal midget at 4 foot 10.

The etiquette was also stupid as she mastered her fake giggles and her youthful, wide grin. 

Hero seemed to be pleased with her progress so Amy-Jean felt overwhelmingly relived when she was excused to go work with Jackson for the second part of training for interviews.

She offered Jeremy a look of sympathy as he walked past her into the room, Hero waiting with ties and dress shoes.

Jackson was in the living room as she walked in quietly. The table was stacked with food as usual, presumably for lunch.

He was dressed in a simple blue shirt and faded jeans. He didn't even bother to put on shoes as he lounged in his socks on the couch. He turned to her with his signature cocky grin and gestured lazily to the table,

"Have something to eat, kid." He said, "We got some work to do."

She obediently sat down in the seat nearest to her and reached for a bread roll and butter. Jackson heaved himself from the couch and walked over to her, sliding into the seat opposite her,

"Hero teach you anything useful?"

Amy-Jean shrugged, mouth full of bread as she struggled to swallow it hastily, "She taught me how to walk in heels, although only 4 inches because my feet are literally too tiny for anything higher." 

Jackson laughed and sipped at some water, "I have no idea how she manages to run around in those monsters of shoes all day." He remarked.

"Yeah." Amy-Jean smiled into her food.

"Anything else?"

Amy-Jean put down her knife and looked up to face him, plastering her sweet and eager smile on her face;

"Hi," She begun, her voice high and melodic, "I'm Amy-Jean Mason but you can call me AJ!" She instantly wiped the smile off her face when she finished, returning her attention the her plate of food.

Jackson raised his eyebrows and smirked, folding his arms, "That's not half bad AJ." He commented, "You done?"

She nodded and pushed her empty plate away from her, dabbing at her face with a tissue. She got up and Jackson followed suit.