CHAPTER FOUR

She had even gotten her own mini apartment in the train. Amy-Jean found herself marvelling at the lavish compartment assigned to her.

The bed was large and comfortable, much unlike her thin and scratchy mattress back home with much too many pillows for one person to need. She ended up tossing all but two smaller ones in the floor, an action she was sure Hero would gasp at.

There was even a closet stocked with a couple of different outfits in different sizes and she was shocked to see there was even a dress that fit her.

Then she grimaced, remembering that they had prepared for the case of having a twelve year old.

Any-Jean only left her room one more time that day, to get some dinner which she wolfed down quickly before anyone else had joined her.

It was an awkward silence as she ate, under the quiet of eyes of a pair of Avoxs who never spoke and only occasionally offered her something to drink which she would politely and quietly decline.

After hastily finishing, she walked back to her compartment and enjoyed an extremely long bath, pressing probably every button available as she was doused with shampoos, conditioners and gels in every scent imaginable.

Might as well enjoy your last few days of living, right?

It was a surprisingly restful night for Amy-Jean and she drifted off pretty quickly between the plush mattress and silky covers, her head resting on an unimaginably fluffy pillow.

» «

Amy-Jean awoke with a start the next day and her heart instantly started beating at a rapid pace as realisation set in. Her hands clutched the duvet tightly.

They were arriving at the Capitol today.

It was odd for Amy-Jean, not waking up to Lynn shouting and light flooding into her little room in the orphanage.

She sighed, rubbing her eyes and swung her legs over the side of the bed. They didn't tough the floor. Amy-Jean frowned, some things don't change.

Once again she sighed and stood up and padded over to the closet in bare feet, opening the large wooden door and peering inside, trying to find the dress from yesterday.

She found the dress and pulled it out before changing into it.

She had never been outside of District 10, let alone all the way to the Capitol. She wondered if it was as extravagant as she'd seen on the projector at home, if the people dressed as crazily as Hero did and why they even considered that monstrosity fashion.

The dress didn't feel right on her.

It was too... expensive.

Not saying it wasn't nice, because it was beautiful but Amy-Jean had worn baggy, old clothes most her life so being dressed in something like that made of silk.

It was a-line and a pale pink colour, reaching to the middle of her thighs, sleeveless with a posh little collar and matte buttons. Something you'd expect some rich little kid to wear to Sunday brunch.

Well, it was the only thing that fit her so it would have to do. Besides, looking pretty could gain her some sponsors so that didn't hurt too much.

Making a face in the long mirror, Amy-Jean patted her hair that was still in its two braids but very tousled and messy from sleep.

She unbraided her blonde hair and reached for a brush before untangling her slightly messy hair.

She redid the braids herself and even though they looked quite decent in her opinion, they weren't the same as when Lynn did them.