CHAPTER SEVEN

Amy-Jean felt many eyes on her throughout the training day, but none as prominent as the careers who's eyes constantly burned into her back as she tried her best to focus on the stations.

She had gone through many of the survival stations, especially the edible plants one. The instructor had been extremely helpful and during the course of two hours, her knowledge had expanded dramatically and she now knew what plants she could eat, and which to stay away from at all costs.

The instructor flipped a page over in his folder.

"Alright," he said as Amy-Jean fiddled with her fingers in the middle of the small station area, "Monkshood?"

"Inedible. Poisonous." She Replied.

He nodded, "And Yarrow?"

"Umm," she looked down, "Edible?"

The instructor curtly nodded once more and flipped the folder shut. He looked practically emotionless but his gaze softened ever so slightly at the sight of the tiny defeated looking girl. "You should probably try some other stations." He suggested, "You've been here a long time."

"Err, Yeah. Sorry." Muttered Amy-Jean, noting the time and that there was only one hour left before the first train day finished. 

Her success in the morning had proven to be attention seeking but thankfully most of the game makers became distracted by the tributes, mostly careers indulging in the combat side.

Amy-Jean has watched quietly from the little edible plants station as Cato brutally sparred with his sword, how Marvel threw spears straight into the centre of the target and how Clove hit every spot with her throwing knives. Glimmer seemed to not be that good in her weapon of choice: the bow an arrow, missing her target by about half a metre.

Still, miles better than Amy-Jean probably could.

She stood up an dusted herself off.

She wandered a little around the large gymnasium before deciding to visit the snare station last.

Nobody was there and the instructor looked bored, leaning against the wall.

Clearing her throat, she nervously stepped up and grabbed his attention. He cocked his head at her and gestured for her to get closer.

She walked a metre or so closer and looked on the variety of sample knots laid out on the floor. She frowned at them, "Can I learn to make one?" She asked timidly, lowering herself on the floor.

The instructor nodded, "Thats what I'm here for." He Replied briskly and crouched down next to her. 

He picked up a thick, long piece of rope and held it up to her, "With this, you can do a lot of things." He said and she stared at the rope, "You can elevate yourself in a tree or something, hunt for food, trap other competitors."

"Okay lets start with a simple knot."

Amy-Jean soon found out she had quite the knack for making knots and ended up enjoying it. The instructor seemed pleased with her too and probably relieved his station wasn't completely isolated.

She only had an hour but she managed to pick up a variety of different knots and their uses as well as managing to craft a snare that could trap a small animal. She was very satisfied with her own performance and allowed herself a small smile as she left the gymnasium.

——

Jackson was very interested in how training went for the pair of them as they all sat around for dinner.